The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Sidelines

It's amazing how all the varsity coaches have adjusted to the restricted zone and give a nice clear path without a whole lot of effort.

But when we work on Thursdays (FR/JV level) the coaches act like they are entitled to come onto the field between plays and as long as they're out of bounds, there's no problem. Clearly, many officials in my area let the sidelines go if it's not a varsity game. We don't -- we have the same expectation as we do on Friday night.

So, last night -- visiting team is all over the place. Linesman is working with the coach, trying to get everyone back, trying to be proactive. He's not shy about tossing in a sideline warning, but he does try (especially with freshman coaches and players, who tend to have less experience) to work with them first and remind them at least once before escalating.

On a punt return, I see a flag on the sideline, so I head in his direction -- he tells me he ran into someone on the sideline when he drifted downfield on the punt. Fine, 15 yards for sideline interference. THAT will clean things up (at least that's what I thought).

The head coach really starts giving it to the linesman and he tells the linesman that we can't penalize 15 because "we never gave them a warning." Sorry, different rule. He tells the linesman he wants to talk to me and the linesman told him, "you can, but it's going to cost you your last timeout, because that's the rule." He wanted the conference. Sigh.

So with my magical white hat, I go over to the sideline and the coach tells me the same thing -- nobody calls that, it's gotta be a warning, and then my favorite -- why isn't he looking where he's going? I stop him at this point and tell him the restricted area is just that -- NOBODY can be in there during live ball periods. Period. He then pulls out, "varsity crews wouldn't" and I stopped him again and I said, "you know, we had no problems on your sideline last season when we worked your varsity game, so I don't know why we're having such problems here today."

They spent the rest of the game complaining and whining and the visiting parents that were lined up around the field were screaming and hollering at every opportunity, thinking that we were giving them the old homer job (and not noticing, I guess, that we called back 2 home TDs -- one on an illegible downfield and one on a hold and I also called an IBB at the 6 yard line on a kickoff return gone bad where the home team broke free and took it about 70 yards).

Of course, the visiting coach's rules knowledge was put on display. After the ineligible downfield on the TD (which was a 3rd down play), the home team ended up punting after an incomplete pass. On the punt, the visiting coach was screaming that there were ineligibles downfield on the punt. The linesman told me that he couldn't even face the bench for a play or two after that, he was laughing so hard.

So, any sideline issues in your games? Like I said, the varsity coaches and teams have been great. They have really respected the restricted area and that we will not let the coaches on the field between plays at all. Same in your areas?

Last edited by Rich; Fri Oct 01, 2010 at 08:33am.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I wish I had the opportunity for it to be a problem. We've got this crazy rule in our association that allows the coach on the field - 1 coach per team, behind his team. The main problem we have is coaches trying to help us officiate because they are out there. If they get too bad we do have the authority to send them to the sideline, or eject them. Of course, in my district the teams are so small numerically that the sideline issue is not a problem. Most teams have only 2 coaches that coach JV, one is on the field, and the other is the bench coach. The players do a good job of staying behind the line.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
I wish I had the opportunity for it to be a problem. We've got this crazy rule in our association that allows the coach on the field - 1 coach per team, behind his team. The main problem we have is coaches trying to help us officiate because they are out there. If they get too bad we do have the authority to send them to the sideline, or eject them. Of course, in my district the teams are so small numerically that the sideline issue is not a problem. Most teams have only 2 coaches that coach JV, one is on the field, and the other is the bench coach. The players do a good job of staying behind the line.
That's nuts. It sounds like youth football. I don't work much of that anymore, but I used to tell the coach on the field his only job out there is to coach the players -- any yelling at the officials will likely result in a USC flag.

Some places got it, some didn't. Those that didn't, I didn't go back there.

Around here, coaches on the field stops at 6th grade or so.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

This season

4 Varsity games = 1 Sideline Warning
6 Sub-Varsity games = 7 Sideline Warnings + 1 5-yard Sideline Interference + 1 15 yard unintentional contact in the restricted area.

The problem here is that varsity coaches are required to attend rules meetings and they get books, but sub-varsity coaches get their rules knowledge from television, and their understanding of the rules when they played years ago.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
In our youth leagues that allow coaches on the field, they are not allowed to say anything to the officials. Not even, "How much time is left" or "Time out!" Only thing I've had one say that I didn't flag was pointing out an injured player far behind the play. they are there to coach, and not AT ALL to talk to the refs. 2nd offense and you don't get a coach on the field anymore.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 10:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
This season

4 Varsity games = 1 Sideline Warning
6 Sub-Varsity games = 7 Sideline Warnings + 1 5-yard Sideline Interference + 1 15 yard unintentional contact in the restricted area.

The problem here is that varsity coaches are required to attend rules meetings and they get books, but sub-varsity coaches get their rules knowledge from television, and their understanding of the rules when they played years ago.
I think it's important to remember that most Friday night coaches start out as sub-varsity coaches. If we teach them the rule when they're coaching on Mondays and Thursdays, they'll know what's expected when they make it to Friday nights.

I see many officials doing a big disservice to themselves and their fellow officials by not enforcing the sidelines during the week the same way they would on a Friday night.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I think it's important to remember that most Friday night coaches start out as sub-varsity coaches. If we teach them the rule when they're coaching on Mondays and Thursdays, they'll know what's expected when they make it to Friday nights.

I see many officials doing a big disservice to themselves and their fellow officials by not enforcing the sidelines during the week the same way they would on a Friday night.
That's my point exactly. Some schools hire mainly newer officials to work on Thursdays. That's fine -- they have to get experience somewhere. And a lot of newer officials who aren't being mentored or supported would rather "not see" the coach who's 5 steps on the field after every play.

But my crew only works as a crew -- when I talk to ADs (all nonvarsity games are assigned by the schools here) I won't take games unless we can work it as a crew because that gives us the chance to work on things on a night other than Friday. If they only have 1-2 spots open (some hire single officials until they have 4 hired), I pass.

And our philosophy on sideline control doesn't change from Thursday to Friday night to Saturday morning. We work off the field and expect to have a clear lane to move without having to look for and avoid players and coaches. If we don't get that after reminding them once or twice, we use the flag to get the point across.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 10:42am
Chain of Fools

Most coaches have adapted to the rule fine. There is the occasional lapse in judgment/memory but a verbal or a sideline warning flag usually takes care of it.

I still hear the occasional, "Wish they'd pay attention to what's on the field instead of us".

I've yet to have a contact foul in the restricted area although there have been a couple of close calls.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That's my point exactly. Some schools hire mainly newer officials to work on Thursdays. That's fine -- they have to get experience somewhere. And a lot of newer officials who aren't being mentored or supported would rather "not see" the coach who's 5 steps on the field after every play.

But my crew only works as a crew -- when I talk to ADs (all nonvarsity games are assigned by the schools here) I won't take games unless we can work it as a crew because that gives us the chance to work on things on a night other than Friday. If they only have 1-2 spots open (some hire single officials until they have 4 hired), I pass.

And our philosophy on sideline control doesn't change from Thursday to Friday night to Saturday morning. We work off the field and expect to have a clear lane to move without having to look for and avoid players and coaches. If we don't get that after reminding them once or twice, we use the flag to get the point across.
I still work a bit of youth on Saturdays here in WI. Seems like the lower the level (8th grade to 5th grade)...the more assistant coaches (i.e.: dads) are there. As you're all aware of first-hand, most of these coaches have never seen a rule book, and most think they're the next Vince Lombardi.

In WI here, we have been instructed (at least at our meeting, Rich) to emphasize this revised sideline rule and we do just that. We've been fairly instructional early on with FR/JV and youth levels. I do agree that we've had some really good work by our varsity coaching staffs...some even have an assistant coach that does little more than watch and clear the box. We have yet to have a flag or a sideline issue...knock on wood.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I still work a bit of youth on Saturdays here in WI. Seems like the lower the level (8th grade to 5th grade)...the more assistant coaches (i.e.: dads) are there. As you're all aware of first-hand, most of these coaches have never seen a rule book, and most think they're the next Vince Lombardi.

In WI here, we have been instructed (at least at our meeting, Rich) to emphasize this revised sideline rule and we do just that. We've been fairly instructional early on with FR/JV and youth levels. I do agree that we've had some really good work by our varsity coaching staffs...some even have an assistant coach that does little more than watch and clear the box. We have yet to have a flag or a sideline issue...knock on wood.
The flag isn't our first option.

We remind the coach before the game (the wing on that side includes that as they get acquainted before the game) and the wing usually talks to him once or twice before anything more drastic happens.

Yesterday, we were met with attitude. My response? Hey, we're trying to work with you, to help you. If you want to give attitude back, though, I guess we'll have to flag you.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I tend to have more problems with JV and Fresh than Varsity. Varsity teams out here usually have a "get back" coach which helps. Dont have too many problems at the Pop Warner level. One thing Ive learned as a flank is to just go ahead and bang them early with the free warning which sometimes works well. R and U also discuss the sideline during pregame with coaches, and then when I introduce myself to the head coach on my sideline I mention the rule. With the rule change this year, it has made it easier. Ive had more problems with photographers and bystanders getting close to the field than coaches.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 02:46pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question

Does the NCAA have a rule about coaches on the field? I see coaches, 10, 15, 20 yards on the field to get the Official's attention or to "help."

Just curious.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
On the punt, the visiting coach was screaming that there were ineligibles downfield on the punt.
I had a frosh game years ago were the coach was yelling that too many were going down field on the punt. After a few plays I just had to ask, “coach how many do you think are allowed to go down on the punt”? He looks at me and says, “you should know you’re the “ref”. I turned to him and said “I do know, it’s ten”. I could see the wheels turning in his head and not making the connections.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Does the NCAA have a rule about coaches on the field? I see coaches, 10, 15, 20 yards on the field to get the Official's attention or to "help."

Just curious.
Yes, we have box that is all ours.
No "Sideline Warning", it is a yardage foul from the first flag.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm currently "on tour" in MI and OH doing some games. I was somewhat worried about the sideline issue before I came over as we work NCAA in Europe and have the 6 foot box to ourselves. So far I've done a Thursday JV, a Friday night Varsity and some Saturday morning munchkin ball, 3 ft tall and 50 pounds dripping wet - they're so cute!
But I haven't had an issue on any of the games so far, so I guess most coaching staffs do understand what they have to do now.