Thread: Sidelines
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I think it's important to remember that most Friday night coaches start out as sub-varsity coaches. If we teach them the rule when they're coaching on Mondays and Thursdays, they'll know what's expected when they make it to Friday nights.

I see many officials doing a big disservice to themselves and their fellow officials by not enforcing the sidelines during the week the same way they would on a Friday night.
That's my point exactly. Some schools hire mainly newer officials to work on Thursdays. That's fine -- they have to get experience somewhere. And a lot of newer officials who aren't being mentored or supported would rather "not see" the coach who's 5 steps on the field after every play.

But my crew only works as a crew -- when I talk to ADs (all nonvarsity games are assigned by the schools here) I won't take games unless we can work it as a crew because that gives us the chance to work on things on a night other than Friday. If they only have 1-2 spots open (some hire single officials until they have 4 hired), I pass.

And our philosophy on sideline control doesn't change from Thursday to Friday night to Saturday morning. We work off the field and expect to have a clear lane to move without having to look for and avoid players and coaches. If we don't get that after reminding them once or twice, we use the flag to get the point across.