The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Statisticians on the sidelines

Do you care if statisticians don't stay in the team box? Does it matter what they are wearing (e.g. team colors vs. inconspicuous clothing)?
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdave View Post
Do you care if statisticians don't stay in the team box? Does it matter what they are wearing (e.g. team colors vs. inconspicuous clothing)?
Depends where you're talking about. If they're behind the 2-yard restraining line I'm not worrying about it.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I mean that they go to the yard line where the ball is (Presumably to do their job better). If I'm on the 10, so are they. I've always taken the approach that as long as they are not coaching, cheering, or complaining, I don't mind them being down there. Last night, it became an issue (For the first time in my 8 years of varsity FB). My HL told his coach that he would have the statisticians on my side (I'm LJ) moved to the team box. The visiting team also had their statisticians down there, but they were in street clothes. My side's guys were wearing the home team's shirts. Just wondered what others have done...

Thanks.....
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Your HL should tell the coach on his sideline that he's not responsible for what happens on your sideline.

Last edited by waltjp; Sun Sep 28, 2008 at 06:42am.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Who cares what they're wearing? Man, talk about looking for trouble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 05:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I don't worry about statisticians or athletic trainers. But, they also may not comment on calls. Every now and again (every other year), I find one that will voice the innocent comment about a spot or something.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I don't worry about statisticians or athletic trainers. But, they also may not comment on calls. Every now and again (every other year), I find one that will voice the innocent comment about a spot or something.
good for you...as I find one (or two) that will voice not-so-innocent comments every other quarter. Unless they start talking nasty about my geneology or body parts, I try to ignore them as long as they stay where they are allowed to stay.
cheers,
tro
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

We had a stat guy the other night that came up to us before the game. Said he would be roaming the his team's sideline but not doing any coaching. I've got no problem with that and after one TD and try, I even compared notes with him on penalties!
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

I will allow a stat guy to come up into the coaches box to get the play from the coach but then he has to get back behind the 2 yard restraining line. No trainers, stat guys etc. - only 3 coaches. Players giving signals can come up into to box to give signals, but then they step back.

Last week I told the get back coach to have the two gentlemen in suits back up out of the area. He laughed and said "Do you really want me to tell the AD and the principal to move". I said I did so he moved them back.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 08:40pm
Chain of Fools

I've had one brief problem with a stat guy in 14 years. Guy was standing right beside me, late in the 2nd qtr.- I say " I need you to move, please." He moves, almost undetectable.

I say "I told you to move." He replies "I did" After the play was over I find the HC- "Coach, your stat guy is about to lose his job and cost you some yards." I then explained the events that had just happened.

At the end of halftime, stat guy comes to me, apologizing profusely, "Sir"ing me to death. He then never got within 10 feet of me the whole second half.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

only one problem, ever

If they're not saying anything and out of the way, they can do their job anywhere they want to go, outside the 2-yard restraining line.

Had one guy who was a school's cross country coach and kept stats, wearing a coach's shirt identical to the staff, decide he was going to provide some editorial comments. I told him to knock it off or he was going to cost his team 15. He said he was working for the newspaper, not the school. Didn't matter, he looked like a coach to me and I was going to treat him as such (in addition to the simple fact that he is, in fact, a coach at that school and I knew it.)

He stopped bothering me.