Thread: Sidelines
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I still work a bit of youth on Saturdays here in WI. Seems like the lower the level (8th grade to 5th grade)...the more assistant coaches (i.e.: dads) are there. As you're all aware of first-hand, most of these coaches have never seen a rule book, and most think they're the next Vince Lombardi.

In WI here, we have been instructed (at least at our meeting, Rich) to emphasize this revised sideline rule and we do just that. We've been fairly instructional early on with FR/JV and youth levels. I do agree that we've had some really good work by our varsity coaching staffs...some even have an assistant coach that does little more than watch and clear the box. We have yet to have a flag or a sideline issue...knock on wood.
The flag isn't our first option.

We remind the coach before the game (the wing on that side includes that as they get acquainted before the game) and the wing usually talks to him once or twice before anything more drastic happens.

Yesterday, we were met with attitude. My response? Hey, we're trying to work with you, to help you. If you want to give attitude back, though, I guess we'll have to flag you.