The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 50
Last Timed Down

K punts with 4 seconds left on the clock in the first half. During the return, the face mask of R45 is grabbed and turned at R's 30 and he runs another 5 yards to the 35. The facemask personal foul is called and we spot the ball at the 50 yard line. Do we give R one untimed down at the fifty to run a play from scrimmage?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Of course. Why wouldn't you. This is a textbook example of why the rules give another down on a penalty like this.

Were it not the case, K could foul all it wanted to prevent a TD, with no penalty.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 236
Here is another situation that prompted a fan/friend to call me last week. I was not working the game but...here it is:
As time runs out A runs ball and is downed close to goal line but doesn't score. foul by B during the live ball. untimed down is ruled. A comes to line, and false starts. 5 yards enforced against A. Even though they false started the untimed down from the previous live ball had not been run yet, so the untimed down is still run after the false start by A. needless to say, A scores, B loses and the fan was a fan of B and wanted to know why A got to run the play even after their false start. I explained that is was because the false start was a dead ball foul and the untimed down had not yet been run yet...

unless I am missing something had I been the R this is what I would have ruled as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 11:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,558
Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
K punts with 4 seconds left on the clock in the first half. During the return, the face mask of R45 is grabbed and turned at R's 30 and he runs another 5 yards to the 35. The facemask personal foul is called and we spot the ball at the 50 yard line. Do we give R one untimed down at the fifty to run a play from scrimmage?
CANADIAN RULING:

This is a UR foul. B can apply the penalty at the end of the play, thereby extending this quarter. Or, they can choose to enforce the penalty at the beginning of the next quarter. If the play occurred at the end of the 4th quarter, they can enforce in the first inning of overtime.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 11:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,558
Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Here is another situation that prompted a fan/friend to call me last week. I was not working the game but...here it is:
As time runs out A runs ball and is downed close to goal line but doesn't score. foul by B during the live ball. untimed down is ruled. A comes to line, and false starts. 5 yards enforced against A. Even though they false started the untimed down from the previous live ball had not been run yet, so the untimed down is still run after the false start by A. needless to say, A scores, B loses and the fan was a fan of B and wanted to know why A got to run the play even after their false start. I explained that is was because the false start was a dead ball foul and the untimed down had not yet been run yet...

unless I am missing something had I been the R this is what I would have ruled as well.
CANADIAN RULING:

We're still giving A an untimed down too. However, the B foul could have a different enforcement spot.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Here is another situation that prompted a fan/friend to call me last week. I was not working the game but...here it is:
As time runs out A runs ball and is downed close to goal line but doesn't score. foul by B during the live ball. untimed down is ruled. A comes to line, and false starts. 5 yards enforced against A. Even though they false started the untimed down from the previous live ball had not been run yet, so the untimed down is still run after the false start by A. needless to say, A scores, B loses and the fan was a fan of B and wanted to know why A got to run the play even after their false start. I explained that is was because the false start was a dead ball foul and the untimed down had not yet been run yet...

unless I am missing something had I been the R this is what I would have ruled as well.
Absolutely.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 09:45am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,164
Think of it this way. About the only way you will not run an untimed down, is when a team fouls and the penalty has a LOD component to the enforcement. Or it is the last play of regulation and they cannot have the option to enforce the penalty on the kickoff (e.g. on a TD play).

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
CANADIAN RULING:

This is a UR foul. B can apply the penalty at the end of the play, thereby extending this quarter. Or, they can choose to enforce the penalty at the beginning of the next quarter. If the play occurred at the end of the 4th quarter, they can enforce in the first inning of overtime.
Please tell me your rulebook doesn't actually call them innings...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:42pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire View Post
Please tell me your rulebook doesn't actually call them innings...
Our overtime procedure does too (we're in Wisconsin).
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 11:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire View Post
Please tell me your rulebook doesn't actually call them innings...
It doesn't, but "inning" is the best way to describe the OT procedure.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It doesn't, but "inning" is the best way to describe the OT procedure.
Originally (1870s) the periods were called innings. Probably because baseball had an established set of rules (from the 1850s) and football was trying to emulate baseball's nationalized rule set.

Even so, NFHS's and NCAA's overtime rules are inning based, whether we call it that or not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End of timed warmup question? SCalScoreKeeper Volleyball 4 Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:34am
Foul on Last Timed Down ljudge Football 33 Mon Aug 02, 2004 03:34pm
Timed Play verus Innings whiskers_ump Softball 10 Mon Feb 16, 2004 05:46pm
Timed Plays and Appeals ahudgins21 Softball 18 Tue Sep 16, 2003 06:34pm
Amateur Baseball should be Timed PeteBooth Baseball 14 Sun Apr 14, 2002 02:51pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1