The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFL Rules.. No untimed down ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59075-nfl-rules-no-untimed-down.html)

linesman Mon Sep 13, 2010 09:26pm

NFL Rules.. No untimed down ???

Sunday night (9/12). The Cowboys commit a holding penalty on a scoring play on the last timed down of the 4th quarter. The referee declared the game over after signaling the hold on the Cowboys..

On Friday night under NFHS rules would we not have penalized "A" ten yards and replayed the down as an untimed down ? If "B" declined the penalty, the result of the play would be a touchdown and a victory for "A" ....

Correct ??????

JRutledge Mon Sep 13, 2010 09:35pm

This is the reason we tell newer officials not to watch what happens on Saturday and Sunday and apply it to Friday. This is one of the 300 plus differences between HS and pro football. As a matter of fact under the last two minutes there is a 10 second run off for any offensive penalty (not sure if that applies for a team leading too).

In the HS game this would be an untimed down on the accepted penalty unless it was a LOD component to the foul like IG or illegal forward pass.

Peace

tjones1 Mon Sep 13, 2010 09:37pm

Yes, correct.

APG Mon Sep 13, 2010 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 692160)
As a matter of fact under the last two minutes there is a 10 second run off for any offensive penalty (not sure if that applies for a team leading too).

Not exactly true.

Rule 4, Section 7, Article 1
Actions To Conserve Time

A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)
(b) intentional grounding
(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage
(d) throwing a backwards pass out of bounds
(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down as ended, except after a touchdown; or
(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop

Penalty: For illegally conserving time: loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.

golfnref Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 692163)
Not exactly true.

Rule 4, Section 7, Article 1
Actions To Conserve Time

A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)
(b) intentional grounding
(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage
(d) throwing a backwards pass out of bounds
(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down as ended, except after a touchdown; or
(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop

Penalty: For illegally conserving time: loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.

Timing has nothing to do with the ruling on this play. Under NFL rules, if the offense scores on the last play of a half but are guilty of a foul on the play, the score is disallowed and the half is over.

JRutledge Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref (Post 692165)
Timing has nothing to do with the ruling on this play. Under NFL rules, if the offense scores on the last play of a half but are guilty of a foul on the play, the score is disallowed and the half is over.

I would not say timing has nothing to do with this. If there was 25 seconds left in the game time would matter and the game would not be over.

Peace

golfnref Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 692168)
I would not say timing has nothing to do with this. If there was 25 seconds left in the game time would matter and the game would not be over.

Peace

I said timing has nothing to do with the play in question. If you would look at the original post you will see the question dealt with a play which happened on the last timed down of the 4th quarter. This is what I was responding to.

JRutledge Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref (Post 692173)
I said timing has nothing to do with the play in question. If you would look at the original post you will see the question dealt with a play which happened on the last timed down of the 4th quarter. This is what I was responding to.

I understand what you are saying, but timing is always a factor and this is why the game ended on that play with an accepted penalty and was part of the explanation by the WH. Timing always plays a role in penalties and in this case it ended the game.

Peace

APG Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref (Post 692165)

I was only addressing the statement that all penalties by the offense under two minutes of either half results in a 10 second run off.

The pertinent NFL rule about fouls committed by the offense with the expiration of a period/half is Rule 4, Section 8, Article 2 (b).