The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wild First week!

Had my schedule set a while back to include 2 Thursday night JV games and a Friday night varsity game. Picked up a Wed game and Saturday games (pee wee). Boy, where to begin...

Wed (one Frosh C team game) went fine. The weather here in Texas, believe it or not, has been a little hot but Wed was a great break -- welcome start to the season. The only thing weird that happened was the R "overruled" me (LJ) by declaring the runner coming to my sideline was stopped for forward progress in bounds when I signaled him out of bounds. (Hint: he went out of bounds -- it frankly wasn't even that close). Anyway, I later reminded him to respect his partners, he said he would, and we went on without issue. I think he realized he shouldn't have done that even though he was sincere in thinking they guy was held up then slung around OOB. That's true, but he had stepped out before the slinging. Trust me: in a frosh game, I'm giving all benefit of any doubt to keeping him in bounds. I guess I could have missed it, but when it happened, I didn't have a question about it.

Thursday night: hell breaks loose late. We're having few, if any issues until late in the game. V, down 13-7, is driving and gets inside the 20. I don't remember the downs, but after a close incomplete, 3 players -- 2 V and 1 H -- dive on the ball to "recover" it. We're whistling its down and H gets up and pushes V's helmet into the other one. I saw it and flagged it. H bench goes crazy -- saying I shouldn't have made that call at that point. Then they start in on everything under the sun that we missed: a dpi call, a ineligible downfield call, and one other one. Head varsity coach giving it to my LJ and BJ while we're waiting for the kickoff after V scored and went ahead. Again, not that difficult a call in my view. I had just passed on a very close roughing the passer call on that exact play -- too close to call and I decided to err on the side of a no-call. Anyway, coach calls my assignor, who I called before going home and essentially lied to him about stuff. Oh, well. They don't want us back; the feeling is mutual.

Friday night: no real discipline or bench problems (a little disagreement here and there, but not out of control). Pretty good game, but weak and sloppy first half. Something like 14 flags in the first, ended up with 21 total. I HATE that. I want 5 foul games! But, we couldn't help it. Close game, second half MUCH better played. Final 23-19 home and V's late turnover made the difference. V didn't score last 2 and a half quarters of game. We weren't perfect, but second half was solid. The only thing about last night was we didn't get off the field until 10:20 after a 7:30 start. LONG night.

Today: many of the things I hate about pee wee: coaches going crazy; fans yelling (not necessarily at us -- too much at the kids). Hot, sunny, hot, and games running late (did I mention it was hot?). No break because we were running late and after 2 and a half games, I'm literally done -- in more ways than one. Supervisor comes in and relieves me for last half (thanks, Charles!!). I cool off, down a gallon or two of liquid, drive home, nap, and I'm fine. A little red. Hot showers out for a day or two.

What's in store for next week?
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 10:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sounds like a crazy way to start the season.

I'm still jealous you get to work JV games with 5 guys.

I worked a freshman game on Thursday that ended in a tie after a goal line stand by the visiting team and I worked as a sub on a varsity game last night which was a 48-8 blow out.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

We just finished week 2. 3 games, 2 V and 1 JV so far. Far too many fouls and fumbles. 1 taunting ejection. A crew from our association had a bench clearing brawl Friday night. Meeting today to sort that out.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 09:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Thursday we had a 48-7 JV game. This school *always* pays us for 5 officials. Consequently, we always try to schedule as many Thursdays there as possible. Total of 6 flags. Probably the fastest game we've ever worked -- we started at 6PM and were done by about 7:30PM. Running clock the entire second half.

Friday we worked a 50-32 slugfest. Our BJ tracks penalties and he ran out of room charting the 13 we had in the first half. I keep meaning to pick up a digital recorder to replace the notepad he carries.

The first penalty was a 15-yard sideline interference on about the third play when our linesman ran into an assistant coach in the restricted area. The only reaction that got from the head coach was an apology to the linesman and a chewing out of the assistant (in the pregame meeting with him, I asked if he had any questions and all he told me was that he expected me to hold his players accountable and that he wouldn't tolerate any bad sportsmanship from his team -- I guess that he holds his assistants acccountable, too). Six of the remaining fouls were encroachment or false starts. We did have 2 horse collar tackles (one of which I flagged as the R -- a runner was held up by the defense and a player on the ground reached up and horse collared him straight back -- I guess I was the only one of the crew to see it, which with the crowd we had around the ball doesn't surprise me) and a hold and a personal foul and an IBB on a punt return, but it didn't *seem* like we had a huge number of fouls until we were reviewing them afterwards. (Looking up, I reported 12 here and can't remember the 13th.)

We had 3 fouls the entire second half. One was encroachment on an extra point, another was encroachment on a scrimmage down. Can't remember the third.

It was humid and muggy all night and I decided to put some water breaks in during the second half (I saw some players trying to work through cramps and I kicked myself for not thinking of it sooner). In the fourth quarter after the second or third water break, the linesman came to me and told me the head coach wanted to personally thank me for including those water breaks. (Can we just follow this coach around week after week?).

Saturday morning we did a varsity reserve on the area's turf field. I *love* working on turf and am thrilled to have 5 lower-level games there this season. Four-man, and I spent most of the game chasing down footballs so I could get them to the umpire. So *that's* what the back judge does much of the game (to be fair, we always have ball boys giving us new footballs on Fridays and yesterday we had long passes with no second football ready, so we had to hustle to get the ball back to be spotted -- no big deal, I got some good exercise). The game ended 6-6 in regulation as the only points scored were on a punt return for a TD and a fumble recovery in the end zone (the ball was snapped on the 1 and promptly fumbled by A). So we got our overtime practice in early (25-yard OT procedure here). 4-and-out for the visitors and the home team punches it in after getting 2 first downs and the weekend is over.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Aug 29, 2010 at 09:33am.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 10:33am
Chain of Fools

Week Two for me also. Last Friday we walked off the field at 10:30 and two nights ago it was 10:22. I checked the stats in this morning's paper and we had 21 penalties Friday night. The home team was picking up USC and PF's in the first half but chilled out in the 2nd. It was very humid compared to where I live and I was dripping buckets. The visitor's only brought one trainer and she was overworked. It was 17-14 at the half but white couldn't hold on the the football very well and gave up two more TD's.

Overall the play has been poor so far- dropped passes by the ton, the usual FS, Enc., and IF's on the offense. Friday night the home team's defense apparently thought they had white's snap count down but they repeatedly jumped off. My HC starting predicting to me when it was going to happen.

Add in the JV game and one team each night has just had a clear advantage over the other so far.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sounds like a crazy way to start the season.

I'm still jealous you get to work JV games with 5 guys.
I'm jealous that (a) your seasons have started already, and (b) you get to work JV with FOUR guys.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 04:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Most JV games in the region of the greater Houston area where I work football are three official affairs.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

There's one school district around here that pays 5 for all HS games, including frosh, and 4 for jr. high games. That's sweet, although I don't get over there -- other side of town. I wouldn't work JV with less than 4, though I've had to on several occasions due to no-shows. There's no way we can work these spread offenses with only 3.

I was encouraged that the second half of the varsity game friday night was much better played. We feel better about our performance when we have fewer fouls.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 06:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Most JV games in the region of the greater Houston area where I work football are three official affairs.
I will not take an assignment with fewer than 4 officials assigned.

Some other crew can do those games. We work as much as we want with games that have at least 4 paid for. Sometimes (when all of us are available to work) we'll take 5 and split 4 checks.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 11:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

I wish I had that choice but it's either work hardly any football or work with what the system is now.

I'm certainly in no position to change it right now.

I'm used to working 4 officials for all subvarsity so it is going to be quite a change.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Easy start to the season. Had our states #1 ranked D1 (biggest schools) win a clock runner 49-14. We had 4 flags all five yarders, no real issues at all.

Had a varsity reserve game on Saturday morning. Coaches come out and let us know that haven't worked on specials teams yet so we are just going to start on the 30-yard line after scores and move the ball up 35 yards if we decide to punt. The also usually play 12 minute quarters and they only wanted to play 10 minute quarter, please don't twist my arm!!! The game then turned into a clock runner...started at 9am and we were off the field at 10:05am...someone has to work them.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 07:57am
Archaic Power Monger

For you WI guys, what is a Varsity reserve game? I'm guessing a game for the varsity players that didn't play the night before?
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Well I got the first inadvertant whistle out the way. Funny cause one of my partners was saying he would do it just to get out the way. I was head linesman and there was a pile up in the middle of the field and I thought momentum was stopped, as soon as I start to blow that whistle, the kid is off and running. Coach start hollering but then I guess he realizes its a JV game and was pretty cool rest of the night.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 09:01am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
Well I got the first inadvertant whistle out the way. Funny cause one of my partners was saying he would do it just to get out the way. I was head linesman and there was a pile up in the middle of the field and I thought momentum was stopped, as soon as I start to blow that whistle, the kid is off and running. Coach start hollering but then I guess he realizes its a JV game and was pretty cool rest of the night.
A lot of that going around this week. I was working the R on my freshman game and one of the wings had an IW on an onside kick.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 09:10am

Our Friday night game saw the #1 team in 4A down 11, getting the football back with 1:40 to play, and no timeouts left. They score, recover the onside kick, and score again to win it 36-32. What a game!!