The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Back in the day (25 years ago) when I first started officiating, it was hammered into me - Don't ever call this, no-one ever calls it, it's a ticky-tack call. Stand a few inches to one side or the other to make him legal from your viewpoint and have a word with the kid after the play is over.

Is the general philosophy in the US nowadays to take it more seriously?
A few inches off is a "hey, don't do that". But if you see the defense confused, you'd better flag it.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
The offense lines up with the wing back in no mans land. He is next to the tackle with a player outside of him that is clearly on the line.

He is not really on the line of scrimmage and yet is not clearly in the backfield.

Causing some confusion to the defense as to how the offense is lining up.

Is this a penalty for not aligning properly and the player being definitively either on the line or not?

Do you flag it? Does it matter if its a running play or passing play?

Please include a rule reference or case book reference please.

Whether that player is eligible or not.
CANADIAN RULING:

It is illegal formation to cause confusion if one is or is not on the line. Having said that, Canadians are minimalists, so we would be looking at talking to this player telling him that he needs to position himself better.

At most youth levels, an astute official recognizing the I.F. will observe B's defensive movements during the play and if they're confused, the official has the authority to throw the flag. If B is not confused (which is most likely), then the official should talk to the player as indicated above). It's more likely that B will be confused if the play is a passing play.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

two things:
1. I think this was a good "talk to". Give them a chance to rectify the situation.
2. THis is a call where we have been advised to "find a blade of grass". That is to say that if you can make them legal do so. In this case, if you can find a blade of grass of separation between the back and the lineman, do so.

In the end however, if they won't help themselves out by correcting the allignment, then hit em.