The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Lining up along the lane

A1 at the line shooting 1 free throw. A2 gets in his proper slot, between B1 and B3. A2 then takes 2 steps perpendicularly away from the lane (east/west), still staying within the extended boundaries of the lane slot. At what point does this become a violation? if ever? Does one foot have to be along the lane area? within 3 feet of the lane? I know what my opinion is, but am interested in yours. I have read 9-1-9 and feel the answer may be there, but to me it is not plain.

Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rulebook with me, but I believe that Rule 1 indicates that lane spaces are six feet deep (although the lane marker is only 8 inches). If that is the case, I would think you wouldn't have a violation until the player has backed more than 6 feet off of the lane. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Lane spaces are 36" deep in NFHS, but I'm not sure if a player must be entirely within the 36" or just have a body part in the space.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The space is 3 feet deep and the player must have his/her entire body within it - at least the part that is in contact with the floor. If not, it is a violation. Think of the imaginary back line the same way as the front and side lines of the space.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

9-1-9 covers this positioning.

The rule specifically mentions the vertical edge of the space with the lane and the vertical edges of the sides of the space BUT DOES NOT MAKE ANY MENTION OF THE BACK OF THE SPACE.

For the front of the space there is obviously the lane line. For the sides of the space there are markers that can be visually extended to determine proper positioning. There is no mark for the back of the space.

References to the other three sides say "may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane..." I think that could reasonably be extended to include the back plane however you don't have a reference line for the back of the space.

Preventive officiating is likely the best approach. Ask the player to stay within three feet of the lane. You sure can't call a 3 foot 2 inch violation because you don't have a line allowing you to definitely say "you are beyond this point."
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Good points Tony. I think that you have to be absolutely sure to call this one, and with no reference points, it is a lot more than 36" back before you know you have a violation.

Has anybody seen somebody line up way back (other than stepping back to talk to a coach)?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Good points Tony. I think that you have to be absolutely sure to call this one, and with no reference points, it is a lot more than 36" back before you know you have a violation.

Has anybody seen somebody line up way back (other than stepping back to talk to a coach)?
Yeah - you tell them to stop being a dope and move up into the lane.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

And when the player correctly tells you, "Nope. I don't have to," and that you are the dope, do you T him? This way you can clear the lane for the free throws and not have to deal with this problem!
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
And when the player correctly tells you, "Nope. I don't have to," and that you are the dope, do you T him? This way you can clear the lane for the free throws and not have to deal with this problem!
Correctly?

If the player is beyond the 36" limit, it's a lane violation. Punish accordingly.

Also, I thought I posted this before, but:

FED: Anywhere in the 36" is legal.

NCAA (or at least NCAAW): One foot (or both) "near" the lane line, the other with the 36".