The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Number Exception

I have a question regarding the numbering exception during scrimmage-kick formations.

7-2-5b-EXCEPTION-2
reads: "...A player in the game under this exception must assume an initial position on his line of scrimmage between the ends and he remains an ineligible forward-pass receiver during that down unless the pass is touched by B."

The Redding Study Guide says, "If a subsequent shift leaves the excepted player in the position of an eligible reciever, he remains ineligible."

With that in mind, here's my example play situation:

On fourth down, A sets up in a scrimmage-kick formation with 8 players on the line as follows:

Code:
80            50  51  52  53  81  82      83

Based on the example situation above, could someone please help me with these questions:
  • If 83 legally shifts into the backfield, does 82 become eligible?
  • If A81 legally shifts into the backfield, is he eligible or ineligible?
  • If A82 legally shifts into the backfield, is he eligible or ineligible?

To ask the question differently: Which players (A81, A82, or both) are considered to have taken "the position of any A player numbered 50 to 79" and are therefore ineligible regardless of any subsequent shift which may leave them in an eligible position?

There are 8 players on the line -- 2 ends and 4 interior linemen wearing numbers 50-79: how do you determine which of the remaining 2 interior linemen are taking the place of a player numbered 50-79 under the numbering exception?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for being so wordy.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

In all 3 cases, the answer is no. The players that lined up ON the line and not on the end have fulfilled the "lined up in a position blah blah" part of that rule. You say they "set up" ... To simplify: at the moment they set up - anyone not in the backfield or on the end is ineligible for the entire play.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, what Mike said. A81 and A82 both will remain ineligible throughout the down.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
You say they "set up" ... To simplify: at the moment they set up - anyone not in the backfield or on the end is ineligible for the entire play.
Just to make sure I understand correctly, this is only the case when the 7-2-5b Exception is in place?

In my example, had there been at least five players numbered 50-79, would a player who was eligible by number but "covered up" be able to shift into the backfield to become eligible by position?
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSidewalk View Post
Just to make sure I understand correctly, this is only the case when the 7-2-5b Exception is in place?

In my example, had there been at least five players numbered 50-79, would a player who was eligible by number but "covered up" be able to shift into the backfield to become eligible by position?
Assuming all five were on the LOS, yes, because he would not be in the game under the numbering exception.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 06, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

OK, how about this: Assume this is the line on a 4th down scrimmage kick. Note that No. 12 is the snapper. Is he eligible?

PHP Code:
             12  21  34  75  77  81                    14 
Old Fri Aug 06, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSidewalk View Post

Yes, in this case A can shift all they want to create and/or remove eligibility due to position. If the numbering exception is never in use prior to the snap, why would any of the restrictions that come with using the numbering exception apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
No. 12 is the snapper. Is he eligible?
Snapper eligibility is only addressed for downs 1 thru 3. Since the snapper is the only numbering exception allowed and he must be between the ends, he must be ineligible at the snap.
On down 4 or on a try, the rule is silent regarding eligibility. So the snapper can be eligible as long as he is eligible by both number and position. In your example, numbers 21 & 34 will always be ineligible at the snap regardless of any shifts.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Yes, in this case A can shift all they want to create and/or remove eligibility due to position. If the numbering exception is never in use prior to the snap, why would any of the restrictions that come with using the numbering exception apply?

Snapper eligibility is only addressed for downs 1 thru 3. Since the snapper is the only numbering exception allowed and he must be between the ends, he must be ineligible at the snap.
On down 4 or on a try, the rule is silent regarding eligibility. So the snapper can be eligible as long as he is eligible by both number and position. In your example, numbers 21 & 34 will always be ineligible at the snap regardless of any shifts.
Just FYI, 21, 34, and 81 are ineligible regardless of shifts.

Last edited by ChickenOfNC; Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 01:58pm.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, 12 and 14 are eligible, the remainder are ineligible throughout the down. (The numbering exception specifies that players using it must be on the line between the ends.)