The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

New Testing Process

To make a long story short, my state just went to a new testing process. Because of not being a full member of the NF, our state produced their own test.

The football version of this testing came out yesterday. We have to answer only 25 questions, but instead of testing on whether you understand what a word means in an obscure rule, we actually answer plays and decide what the process is after a play is over. Also the test is multiple choice instead of true/false.

What do you think and what do states do that create their own test separate from the NF.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia they give us the NFHS part 1 test. The state creates their own Mechanics test and Part 2 test (the Part 2 test is closed-book and proctered), each of which is 50 questions and T/F.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Wow, in Ohio, once we get our Class1 license, we never have to take another test.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Wow, in Ohio, once we get our Class1 license, we never have to take another test.
In my experience, our officiating reflects this fact.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
To make a long story short, my state just went to a new testing process. Because of not being a full member of the NF, our state produced their own test.

The football version of this testing came out yesterday. We have to answer only 25 questions, but instead of testing on whether you understand what a word means in an obscure rule, we actually answer plays and decide what the process is after a play is over. Also the test is multiple choice instead of true/false.

What do you think and what do states do that create their own test separate from the NF.

Peace
I like it.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I have never been convinced that testing enhances rules knowledge. Most of my rules knowledge comes from discussions or association meetings (outside of my personal study of course) than any rules test has ever done. And the one reason I love our current testing at this time is the fact that they are not asking us things like the diameter of the football, but rather when you have a penalty what is the down and distance. I would think that officials in your area are not holding individuals accountable for knowing the rules like the crews I have been on do. We constantly talk rules and situations throughout the season or off season.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
Testing

In South Dakota they had an early multiple choice test that did nothing to advance training in my opinion. After the uproar ended, and the testing outfit that was used went belly up, we went back to the regular paper and pencil 100 T F open book and closed book test.

Now we do the same test, but on-line. Same for mechanics. We get the test down loaded so that we can review as a group, and this we had always done. Last year was our first year under that system, and despite a couple of glitches with the mechanics test, and instructions over how to do things the first time, I think it was great.

We have reduced the costs to the association and members. Not sure why our annual fees went up given all of these cost savings measures, but they were probably due to increase regardless. Now if we could only get a central assigning software solution to fly so that officiating crews don't have to pass each other going to do games in each others backyard we would be set.

30+ years of handling FB contracts is wearing thin...Jim
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

HS test - 100 T/F questions - decent study tool for those who spend time on their own to do it and review with crew members or association; worthless for those who just show up and write down the answers (I agree a T/F question about the diameter of the football or height of the goal post is not worthwhile).

College test - 100 questions that require you to provide who will next put the ball in play and where, down and distance, and rule references to support your answer - awesome study tool to dig into the rule book and better understand them; even better if you get together with a study group and review them. Even if you don't answer them in advance, you get a lot out of attending the study group and listening to officials talk.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Speak for yourself. I happen to think that the officiating in my association is spot on.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think 25 questions is too little... but other than that I agree that a homemade test is going to be better than questions regarding what words can be on the football, what equipment can be carried by a non-player who is authorized to be on the sideline, what materials a chain should be made of, and trying to decipher a triple negative with missing commas and figure out what they meant.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Jul 25, 2010, 03:47pm
M.A.S.H.

It is my understanding that the question pool will expand every year until they get back to 100 questions.

While I agree that some of the NFHS exam was a word game, I did like it as a study tool to get me back into the rules book. I am going to attempt to get Part I from someone on here from here on out.
Old Sun Jul 25, 2010, 04:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
It is my understanding that the question pool will expand every year until they get back to 100 questions.

While I agree that some of the NFHS exam was a word game, I did like it as a study tool to get me back into the rules book. I am going to attempt to get Part I from someone on here from here on out.
I have a test for you if you need one. Let me know.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I thought you guys had standards.

Regards, LBJ
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a test for you if you need one. Let me know.

Peace
I have all of the NFHS tests going back to 1993...A good share of those with exams #1 and #2...I can help too.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Texas (NCAA rules) has a 50 question test (T/F) that must be passed (70% or higher) annually before working a varsity game. The test covers both rules and mechanics, but really only about 10% of the question reflect mechanics.