The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I'm a new HL this year and I've heard veteran officials (including wings) mention that they go through mental checklists on every play to remind themselves of key rules and what they need to look for.

I was wondering if anyone (especially HL or wings) would be willing to share their thought process on various plays. What is going through your head? What rules do you remind yourself of? What do you tell yourself to focus on?

As a HL on a 4-man crew, I am on the line of scrimmage for every play (kicker line on free kicks).
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Before breaking the huddle
 Count the players
 Verify—down, distance & time
 Make sure defense not in neutral zone

Break huddle to snap
 Establish neutral zone with stance
 Count players
 Read keys to determine your receiver(s) of responsibility
 Count players on the line, must be 7 (look at back field)
 Watch players in motion-follow all the way
 Player movement-false starts, encroachment, illegal shifts

At the snap
 Determine run or pass (read blockers and keys)
 Watch wide-out blocking and end of line play
 Be ready to react to sweep your way
 Cover your receivers on a pass

After the play
Line
 Mark forward progress
 Watch for late hits, unsportsmanlike penalties
 Get box and/or chains set

Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Michealpr has a great list, I would print it and review each pregame and mentally visualize it as you review it, it won't take long and you find yourself following the sequence on every play. Once you feel comfortable with that I would add reading and reacting keys, I have some info I can share with you on this. Also, there is a great book, for like $10, called "The Ball is Ready!", well worth the investment for wing officials. I have worked both HL & LJ and it has helped me alot! I fyou want me email you some info send me an e-mail, tha address is in my profile.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know if this is common outside my area, but as a wing, prior to the snap as the offense is lining up, one of our common practices is to put the foot on the offense's side of the ball forward about half a yard behind the ball to give the WR's an idea of where "ON" is. At lower levels, we might even aid them a bit (You're ON! or You're OFF - or at Peewee or 7th grade - You should be on - move up, etc).

Also - One comment about ensuring 7 men on the line. Don't just count the backfield. 4 in the backfield does not equal 7 on the line. 4 in the backfield accompanied by the referee signaling 11 on the field does (and lacking the signal from R that offense has 11, you'll have to count players on the line, not just count the backfield and subtract). A common mistake I've seen is assuming that if they see 4 in the backfield, the offense is lined up right. Even in discussions after throwing the flag - my opposite official has been known to comment, "They had enough on the line, I counted 4 in the backfield."

Only other thing I'd add... Before "Move the box/chains" is "Look for flags".

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

michaelpr, thanks for an excellent checklist.

One additional thing I was looking for was a list of specific reminders an HL goes through in his head - what exactly he is looking for. For example, on a pass play, you might say to yourself, "no downfield blocking by an eligible" or "84 cannot go downfield because he is not eligible (because there is a WR on the line)", etc. On a running play, you might say "watch the knee" or "stay at forward progress". On a kick, maybe something like "watch the direction of players being blocked" to pickup blocks in the back (as opposed to side blocks).

Does anyone do anything like that??
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

I look at several things:
Identify the receivers, indentify my key(s), check the formation to make sure it is legal, and see if any receiver is covered up. At the snap I look through to the tackle or tight end, thier first move is a good pass or run read. In a four man crew, if the wideout releases like a "bat out of hell", release with him, likely getting the ball or at least on a pass route. On a run away clean up the play keep all offenseive players in front of you. Run your way watch blocking ahead of the ball and runner.

Things to look for on runs are: Holding, Blocks below the waist, Blocks in the back/Clipping, Crack-back blocks by recievers.

Things to look for on passes: Covered recievers going down field, OPI, DPI, Holding at the line of scrimmage.

Did I leave anything out?? Hope this helps!!
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Train yourself not to watch the ball...watch the action around the ball or the point of attack.

Also, make it a habit to give good wind the clock signal anytime the ball is between the sideline and the numbers.

I'll say to myself "good" if the block in front of the RB is indeed good and keep officiating.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

HL and LJ

We use SNAP-TACKLE-END as a thought process just prior to the snap.

SNAP - look at what happens just prior to and during the snap: false starts, snap infraction, encroachment

TACKLE - read the tackle to help determine pass or run

END - make sure the block on the end is legal

Also, we say: "Watch people, not the ball." On a run,especially a sweep, watch the blockers until the ball crosses the neutral zone (R has the ball until then).

Thanks for the checklist. I will use it with our association.