The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question - Starting the Clock

I have two questions about the wording of NFHS Rule 3-4-2. I'm a new official, so bear with me if I'm making this more difficult than it really is.

Question 1:
The rule makes sense to me up until the words "or an untimed down". What does this mean?

I've tried reading this sentence several ways, and I just can't seem to get it.

I don't see how the clock would stop for an untimed down, and the clock doesn't run during an untimed down.

Does this mean that if a period is extended for an untimed down then the clock will start with the RFP on the first play of the next period? That doesn't seem right and would seem to contradict 3-4-3g.

Question 2:
Are (a), (b), and (c) just examples of when 3-4-2 would apply, or is that list an extension of the phrase "or an untimed down".

Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

First off, welcome aboard! It's always good to have new officials around. Now to answer your questions...

Question 1:
The way I read it is that the clock will start on the ready for the following cirumstances (a,b,c) unless the clock was stopped for a reason under 3-4-3 or was stopped for an untimed down.

This wording might be slightly redundant as there is no situation I can think of in which there would be a snap following an untimed down except in the case of an extended period due to penalty, but the ending of a period is covered under 3-4-3g so it would appear it is just a reiteration.

Question 2:
3-4-2 a, b, and c are the situations in which the clock would start on the ready. They are the only cases I can think of when the clock would stop other than what's listed under 3-4-3.

Big Picture: Unless it's a situation listed under 3-4-3, the clock is starting on the whistle.

Hope this helps!
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the response AUgrad!

Your explanation of this rule is pretty much the same explanation I had come to terms with on my own. I just needed to run it by someone else who knew the rule a little better & make sure I wasn't missing something.

I would agree that the wording about an untimed down is a little redundant. I can't think of any case in which you would need to worry about when to start the clock following an untimed down (except, as pointed out, for the start of the next period which is covered by 3-4-3g).