The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

NFL Umpire position change

I am not a football official, although I do officiate other sports.

I heard a blurb on ESPN this morning that the NFL is either considering or has already made a change to have the umpire positioned in the offensive backfield opposite the referee.

They say that the umpire was knocked down approx 100 times last season, and there were 3 - 4 injuries, including concussions amongst those injuries.

Any thoughts or opinions on the effects of this change and do you think it may trickle down to college and HS eventually?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

This has appararently been approved. I also heard from an SEC officials that the NCAA will also be doing some experiments with this during spring scrimmages.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

We have to prevent concussions...
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

They tried this several years ago and I didn't think it worked very well. Who's going to cover the LOS for ineligibles downfield and passer over the line?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
They tried this several years ago and I didn't think it worked very well. Who's going to cover the LOS for ineligibles downfield and passer over the line?
I don't think any of the umpire's responsibilities will change, only his perspective on them. It might, however, be difficult for him to get to the LOS through all of the blockers, esp. on plays to his side of the field.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
In 7 man, the LJ holds the line of scrimmage.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Also, I thought that they were going to have the umpire wear a helmet since the experiment a few years back did not work well.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Other problems may arise when the QB runs toward the U side of the field. Does the U then pick him up?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

There will probably be signicant changes in responsibilities with this move that didn't happen when they experimented with it a couple years ago. You may essentially have 2 referees (based on responsibilities) on either side of the offensive back field. For example, the R may take the RG, RT and QB initially while the U will take C, LG, LT, and QB if he rolls to his side. If that happens, the R would then pick up back-side blocking and action while the U would do what the R would normally do on a QB run to that side. Same for other running plays. There will definitely be re-training of keys and responsibilities, especially for the R and U and to some extent the other 5 guys as well. Things they do naturally today will change. It should be interesting. I wonder if and when it will trickle down to lower levels or if they keep it after this 3-year period.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

In safety move, NFL to reposition umpires in offensive backfield - ESPN
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:32am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Pereira and Johnson both said the umpires may have to be more athletic to accomplish their tasks.

Bye-bye Snickers
Hello granola
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I wonder if and when it will trickle down to lower levels or if they keep it after this 3-year period.
While fully acknowledging that I have no idea how well it will work, I hope it doesn't. I'd rather wear a helmet and stay where we work now rather than go back behind the offense. I just don't see it working well enough in 5-man mechanics and below.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 07:18pm
Chain of Fools

I don't think we could use it in 5 man mechanics as at least one wing would have to stay home to monitor the ENZ. That leaves two deep guys to monitor 4 and 5 receiver sets in today's pass happy offenses. It may trickle down but we are going to have to add an official to do it.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Bye-bye Snickers
Hello granola
I wasn't aware that "umpires" and "athletic" could be usd in the same sentance...
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
While fully acknowledging that I have no idea how well it will work, I hope it doesn't.
What are you, 90? Quite the stick in the mud today.

I see no reason to assume that the current way is best. Officiating continues to evolve, and we need to keep learning.