The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

NFL -- Clock Errors Reviewable?

I read recently that the NFL changed a rule about video replay being used to correct clock errors at the end of the half. Yesterday in the Baltimore-Indy game, the Colts ran a play with 9 seconds left on the clock. The pass was incomplete, but at the end of the play the clock still showed 7 seconds.

Watching at home, I timed the play from snap to whistle and came up with about 4 seconds for the play, which should have left 5 seconds (plus or minus one) on the clock. The difference turned out to be worth 4 points, as those two extra seconds gave the Colts time to run one more play before a FG try.

I don't have a dog in this hunt (watching the officials is far more entertaining than the game itself, anyway), and I'm not a football official myself (a guy can dream, I guess), but I am curious.

Is there somebody on the field whose job it is to make sure the clock operator starts and stops the clock correctly? Is the clock operator a league official, or is (s)he provided by the home team? And with the exception of the last play, is the clock ever reviewable?

Thanks.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 05:12pm
Chain of Fools

Atlanta Blue could say for sure but I believe the ECO is provided by the home team. However, the LJ keeps time on the field. Had there been a discrepancy, he would be the one to report it to the R. I noticed it also and Harbaugh was fussing about it but they made no changes.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

For the playoffs, the networks have a camera pointing directly at the game clock. If there are situations at the end of the half or the game where the clock is a factor it can be reviewed.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
For the playoffs, the networks have a camera pointing directly at the game clock. If there are situations at the end of the half or the game where the clock is a factor it can be reviewed.
TV has a camera pointing at the game clock on ALL televised games. Generally you have one on the scoreboard (including the clock) so you can confirm D&D, Yardline, score, TOs, etc., and one on the playclock (shot clock in basketball).

The score bug is nothing more than a computer that takes a feed from the scoreboard controller to generate the time. Guess what... computers sometimes fail.

I've worked TV for games (granted not NFL, but D1 FB, BB, soccer), and ALL have had a shot of the clocks.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofTwins View Post
I read recently that the NFL changed a rule about video replay being used to correct clock errors at the end of the half. Yesterday in the Baltimore-Indy game, the Colts ran a play with 9 seconds left on the clock. The pass was incomplete, but at the end of the play the clock still showed 7 seconds.

Watching at home, I timed the play from snap to whistle and came up with about 4 seconds for the play, which should have left 5 seconds (plus or minus one) on the clock. The difference turned out to be worth 4 points, as those two extra seconds gave the Colts time to run one more play before a FG try.

I don't have a dog in this hunt (watching the officials is far more entertaining than the game itself, anyway), and I'm not a football official myself (a guy can dream, I guess), but I am curious.

Is there somebody on the field whose job it is to make sure the clock operator starts and stops the clock correctly? Is the clock operator a league official, or is (s)he provided by the home team? And with the exception of the last play, is the clock ever reviewable?

Thanks.
If I remember that play correctly, the Colts called a timeout previous to that play. On the TV graphic, there were 9 seconds left. After the time out was called, they put back 2 seconds on the clock, so there were 11 seconds. They then ran one play which took four seconds which left 7 seconds left on the clock.

According to the official play-by-play, that is exactly what happened.

NFL Game Center: Baltimore Ravens at Indianapolis Colts - 2009 Divisional Playoffs

1-7-BAL 7 (:17) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 44-D.Clark to BLT 3 for 4 yards (52-R.Lewis).

Timeout #3 by IND at 00:11.

2-3-BAL 3 (:11) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete short right to 87-R.Wayne [55-T.Suggs].

Timeout #3 by BLT at 00:07.

3-3-BAL 3 (:07) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short left to 87-R.Wayne for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
TV has a camera pointing at the game clock on ALL televised games. Generally you have one on the scoreboard (including the clock) so you can confirm D&D, Yardline, score, TOs, etc., and one on the playclock (shot clock in basketball).

The score bug is nothing more than a computer that takes a feed from the scoreboard controller to generate the time. Guess what... computers sometimes fail.

I've worked TV for games (granted not NFL, but D1 FB, BB, soccer), and ALL have had a shot of the clocks.
Take a look at this video and you will see the NFL never felt they could guarantee the TV game clock to be used in a review. Apparently the fact an actual shot of the clock was available was not communicated.

NFL Videos: Official Review
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If I remember that play correctly, the Colts called a timeout previous to that play. On the TV graphic, there were 9 seconds left. After the time out was called, they put back 2 seconds on the clock, so there were 11 seconds. They then ran one play which took four seconds which left 7 seconds left on the clock.

According to the official play-by-play, that is exactly what happened.

NFL Game Center: Baltimore Ravens at Indianapolis Colts - 2009 Divisional Playoffs

1-7-BAL 7 (:17) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 44-D.Clark to BLT 3 for 4 yards (52-R.Lewis).

Timeout #3 by IND at 00:11.

2-3-BAL 3 (:11) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete short right to 87-R.Wayne [55-T.Suggs].

Timeout #3 by BLT at 00:07.

3-3-BAL 3 (:07) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short left to 87-R.Wayne for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
I heard the call for timeout, being a deep wing, I immediately looked at the clock and saw 11 seconds. They stopped it with 9 seconds and I kept wondering if they were going to put time back on the clock. They must have put the 2 seconds back on without much of an annoucement, I think Harbaugh saw the 9 seconds before they changed it, because he was questioning the clock status after that play asking how only 2 seconds went off.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post
I heard the call for timeout, being a deep wing, I immediately looked at the clock and saw 11 seconds. They stopped it with 9 seconds and I kept wondering if they were going to put time back on the clock. They must have put the 2 seconds back on without much of an annoucement, I think Harbaugh saw the 9 seconds before they changed it, because he was questioning the clock status after that play asking how only 2 seconds went off.
I thought the same thing when Harbaugh was complaining so I rewound the game (thank you DVR!!). I remember seeing 9 seconds on the unofficial network clock after the previous play but at the snap on this play, the broadcast clock had been updated to 11. 4 seconds came off during the play and 7 seconds was the correct remaining time.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Take a look at this video and you will see the NFL never felt they could guarantee the TV game clock to be used in a review. Apparently the fact an actual shot of the clock was available was not communicated.

NFL Videos: Official Review
That was interesting. My GUESS is no one on the "rules committee" (or however they decide what rules to implement) thought about using the clack camera. Or if they did, they neglected to talk to the networks to see if the feed is available. He pointed out the TX/Nebraska game... remember they went back to replay to determine there was still time remaining.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

For the OP:

NFL adjusts replay rules for end of halves, OT - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

"The adjustment will be limited to situations in which time expired before, during or after a play that ends a half or overtime. Time can be put back on the clock or removed if replay shows an error was made."

This play wouldn't of been reviewable even if there was a timing mistake was made.