The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Helmets, helmets, helmets

This is only marginally related to officiating, but, does anyone have a clue why helmets now routinely fly off the heads of players? 30 years ago many helmets had only 1 strap or; if two, located right at the chin. Now, there are two straps located all the way up on the head. You would think that the helmets would stay on better, but the opposite seems to be true.

Last edited by parepat; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 04:55pm.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

That's an easy one. The rules state that the helmet must have a four point chin strap and that all four points must be connected. The rules say nothing about the helmet fitting correctly nor do they say anything about the chinstraps actually holding on to the chin.

Most of the players keep the chinstraps so loose that the chinstrap rests closer to the neck than the chin. They also like to keep the helmet loose so that it is easy to take off. Most programs don't take the time to fit the players properly nor are they pushed to. I think this needs to be a point of emphasis for the coaches because an improperly fitted helmet is almost as bad as no helmet at all. Additionally, if it is not fitted correctly it will not absorb an impact correctly which could lead to more brain injuries.

I have no study to back this up, just my observation as a player for 10 years and an official for another 10.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Then why, if Parepat's observation is correct, did helmets fit better before?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Helmet's didn't fit better before, I believe that players adjusted them properly before. I think that players are not wearing the helmets properly. They don't keep the helmet bladders inflated, they wear small jaw pads because it is more comfortable, and they don't have the chin straps tightened.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Then why did they adjust them properly before?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 01:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Then why did they adjust them properly before?

Because wearing them loose wasn't the cool thing to do. I played not that long ago and I don't remember a player's helmet coming off during play like they do now. Helmets have not changed very much at all from when I stopped playing to today. Most of us just wore them properly.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

The problem is not that the helmet is not being worn properly, the problem is it is not being sized properly. Players are wearing loose fitting helmets because that's what they see on television. When you see a player effortlessly pull his helmet on or off with one hand, it is not sized to fit.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Part of it is hair styles. Look at Stephen Jackson of the Rams - his helmet routinely flies off. He's got more hair on him than an entire team of players from the 50's.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Part of it is hair styles. Look at Stephen Jackson of the Rams - his helmet routinely flies off. He's got more hair on him than an entire team of players from the 50's.
Then why didn't helmets fly off like crazy in the 1960s or 1970s?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
good point Jim...LOL
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm a football fan... not an official.... but I am in three other sports. I think they fly off more because players are much bigger, faster, and stronger, and now are hitting each other a heck of a lot harder than they used to. Just my 2 cents from the stands.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 01:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
I'm a football fan... not an official.... but I am in three other sports. I think they fly off more because players are much bigger, faster, and stronger, and now are hitting each other a heck of a lot harder than they used to. Just my 2 cents from the stands.
I'm not sure about that one. I don't remember ever seeing helmets flying off routinely when Lawrence Taylor, Ken Norton, Jr. or Ronnie Lott would lay some of those hits.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Possibly another reason is that in the past, players tried to tackle whereas now all they want is to blow somebody up in order to make the highlight reels and Sportscenter.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Good points. It makes sense that with the 4 point straps way up on the head it would be more difficult to remove a properly fitted helmet. THe speed that this issue has arisen leads me to believe that this is not a result of changes in the game, but rather the way that the helmets are fitted or worn.
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I know when I played, you had to stick your fingers in the earholes of the helmet and pull outward, then up to get the helmet off. There wasn't any wiggle room allowed. We had a coach whose job it was before summer practice to fit everybody's helmet properly.

Last edited by umpirebob71; Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 07:51pm.