The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Worked a JV game with a very new official (due to a last minute change). During the game she is nervous and several times while I am trail by the benches, she gives a signal with her arm and we cannot hear her verbal for the throw in. Trying to help I point the same direction and call out the direction. Since she pointed the wrong way each time, I only added to the confusion by echoing the mistake and made it worse. A veteran official who was there observing, told me that I was over protecting by doing that and should have let her get the right color ready for the throw in, then if there was still a question I could have said something to the bench, like"she got it right, we are going white". And then at the first stoppage tell her to verbalize louder and take her time, as well as to reinforce that she was doing fine.
This other official showed me some other things, that by trying to protect her in other areas I was actually limiting her imporvement. All in all it was very enlightning for me.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 01:51am
Do not give a damn!!

There are some calls that your partner just has to live and die with. You were given some really good advice.

Peace