The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Safety or not

QB runs the ball out of his endzone and is tackled near the goal line. At the instand his knee hits the ground the ball is parallell to the ground and the front edge of it is outside of the endzone by 4 inches but the back half is still in the endzone.

Safety or A's ball still? Does the ball get moved forward artificially if we still have A's ball so that no part of it breaks the plane of the goal line when it is snapped for the next play?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

To avoid a safety, the runner has to advance the ball completely out of the EZ.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
To avoid a safety, the runner has to advance the ball completely out of the EZ.
Alf is 100% correct on this one. And this has to go down as one of his shortest posts!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0254 View Post
Does the ball get moved forward artificially if we still have A's ball so that no part of it breaks the plane of the goal line when it is snapped for the next play?
Unofficially that's common practice. Officially, no, which leaves the question of what to do if it's spotted overhanging the goal line for 4th down and an incomplete pass is then thrown. In TV games I saw (years ago) at least once a ball made ready for play overhanging like that as a result of rotating it after it was barely carried out of the end zone sideways.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Unofficially that's common practice. Officially, no, which leaves the question of what to do if it's spotted overhanging the goal line for 4th down and an incomplete pass is then thrown. In TV games I saw (years ago) at least once a ball made ready for play overhanging like that as a result of rotating it after it was barely carried out of the end zone sideways.
You do not rotate the ball on change of possession. Ball stays where it is and chains are set from the NEW forward point.

Makes me think about this scenario though... ball is carried out of EZ sideways, ball perpendicular to the sideline and is completely out of EZ when runner is downed. However when rotated the back end would now penetrate the GL. Safety?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest this is one of those either/or situations we have to deal with. Either the ball is entirely and completely out of the EZ, or it's a safety or TD, depending on direction. The ball should NEVER be spotted with any part of it, in either direction touching the goal line.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
You do not rotate the ball on change of possession. Ball stays where it is and chains are set from the NEW forward point.

Makes me think about this scenario though... ball is carried out of EZ sideways, ball perpendicular to the sideline and is completely out of EZ when runner is downed. However when rotated the back end would now penetrate the GL. Safety?
No. You move the ball forward a couple inches so that no part of the ball is breaking the plane. Yes, it means the offense gains a couple unearned inches. And yes, any wing not smart enough to mark his spot far enough out of the EZ so that you don't have to worry about it gets slapped about the head.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
No. You move the ball forward a couple inches so that no part of the ball is breaking the plane. Yes, it means the offense gains a couple unearned inches. And yes, any wing not smart enough to mark his spot far enough out of the EZ so that you don't have to worry about it gets slapped about the head.
A good U should make up for that and make sure that the wing responsible for the poor spot buys the first round at post game.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
No. You move the ball forward a couple inches so that no part of the ball is breaking the plane.
That's what Brice Durbin told me in the Fed office when I visited in 1980. It's never been written in any manual, but that's the instruction passed down.

Never comes up in Canadian football, where the ball is never spotted with any of it inside either 1 yard line.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

5-3-4...A ball touching the goal-line plane, when it becomes dead is in the end zone, even though it is moving away from the nearer end line and has its foremost point in the field of play.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's what Brice Durbin told me in the Fed office when I visited in 1980. It's never been written in any manual, but that's the instruction passed down.
Actually, it is written under casebook play 5.3.4 sit A in the 2008 casebook.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Never comes up in Canadian football, where the ball is never spotted with any of it inside either 1 yard line.
So if the ball is on the 1, and there's a penalty that's half the distance, how does that work?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
So if the ball is on the 1, and there's a penalty that's half the distance, how does that work?
It's brought no closer than that. (They also have a restriction on the distance on rough play penalties, which are 25 yards and can take the ball to less than half the distance from the goal line, but only to take it no closer than to the 15.) If it's against team B IIRC there are circumstances in which it becomes an AFD. A score can be awarded for repeated or deliberate fouls by a team near its goal line.

They used to also have a provision that on a "convert" (try) the ball couldn't be snapped any closer to the goal line than the usually awarded spot. I think they changed that.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Safety or A's ball still?
Both.
It is a safety and A still has the ball for a free kick.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Alf is 100% correct on this one. And this has to go down as one of his shortest posts!