The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Free Kick- when can K block? Question

I saw this in a game Saturday. Kickers were trying an onside kick. The ball hit the ground within the netural zone and took a high bounce. R came up about two yards inside the netural zone to attempt a catch. As the R player was attempting to catch, and before even touching the ball he was blocked out of the way by a K player.
I know it is not Fair-Catch-Int since the ball had already hit the ground. But after hitting the ground and before going the ten yards can K block R out of the way?
this happend in a NCAA game but if different would like NF rule Thanks
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
I saw this in a game Saturday. Kickers were trying an onside kick. The ball hit the ground within the netural zone and took a high bounce. R came up about two yards inside the netural zone to attempt a catch. As the R player was attempting to catch, and before even touching the ball he was blocked out of the way by a K player.
I know it is not Fair-Catch-Int since the ball had already hit the ground. But after hitting the ground and before going the ten yards can K block R out of the way?
this happend in a NCAA game but if different would like NF rule Thanks
NF: 2-3-5b indicates; "a defensive player may also: Push, pull or ward off an opponent in an actual attempt to get at the runner or a loose ball if such contact is not pass interference, a personal foul or illegal use of the hands."

NF: 9-2-3 defines "Illegal Use of the Hands" which does not detail any prohibition relative to blocking R in the NZ following a free kick, although NF: 9-3-4 does provide additional protection to the "kicker or place kick holder of a free kick may not be blocked before: (a) He has advanced 5 yards beyond his FK line (b)The kick has touched the ground or any other player.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 01:12pm
Ref Ump Welsch

The play you saw in the Tennessee-Alabama game would be legal in NF. We had the same play twice this year in NF games, and both teams failed to get the ball back. The play on Saturday was the first time I'd seen it work this year, from the comforts of my La-Z-Boy.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

From the NCAA rule book:
Quote:
g. No Team A player may block an opponent until Team A is eligible to touch a
free-kicked ball [S19].
PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot, or five yards
from the spot where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team
B, or from the spot where the ball is placed after a touchback
[S18] (A.R. 6-1-2-VII).
Legal in NFHS. Illegal in NCAA. UTK should have re-kicked from the 25 yard line.

I watched that play about 10 times online just now, looking for the illegal block everyone was talking about. Never could see it until I found a replay from the end zone camera. So I'm not surprised the officials missed it.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
My thought would be if it is a legal block by either team, there is no foul.