The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Umpire mechanics

I worked my first varsity game as an umpire the other night and have a few questions regarding dead ball mechanics...
  • After spotting the ball, you're supposed to stand over it...until the RFP or until the offense breaks their huddle?
  • When standing over the ball, are you supposed to face the offense, the defense, the press box, or does it even matter?
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't if this is totally correct, but I tend to stand over the ball until the ready, and I face the offense. This give me a chance to count to offense, make sure of the lineman number or if an exception might be in place.

By moving back after the ready, I am in position in the event to offense runs a quick set/snap.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:08am
TODO: creative title here

Here's how I do it:
Face the offense. Stand over the ball, hold up both arms indicating the down. Drop my arms on the RFP, but continue to stand over the ball.
Count A players while in the huddle, if possible.
Drop back when the offense breaks the huddle, walking backwards to your pre-snap location (don't ever turn your back to the offense pre-snap, glance over your shoulder to see where the B players are. After a few plays, you'll have a pretty good feel for where the defensive linemen are going to be). If you do this quickly enough, you'll be in position before the snap, even if it's a quick snap.
Signal to R that you counted 11 players on offense, using a fist at shoulder level.

If the offense is in a hurry up or no huddle, I'll spot the ball, indicate the down, and retreat to my pre-snap location before the R gives the RFP.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Or release the ball when the Referee releases you. Most release on the RFP.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Have you figured out where to keep your Snickers bar yet? Since I'm right handed, I keep it in my right front pocket. Don't put it in your back pocket, if you go down, you'll smash it. When they get smashed, they're harder to eat during time outs.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Don't go down. I like to have a couple in my back pockets. These are only high school sized kids anyway. Just chuck them. They will go down.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I stand over the ball, facing the offense, if possible counting as others noted. I work with different white hats, but most mark it RFP play quickly, while offense is still huddling.

If the offense comes to the line and RFP has not yet blown, I will stay over the ball if something is going on, like slow chain crew. If it is a "rushed offense", I will tell the snapper, "I'm backing a way. Don't touch the ball until you hear his whistle." Then I back away, monitoring, saying, "Wait! Wait! Wait!"

And don't worry about Umpire Bob... he's just joshing you. We're not really the types that save Snickers bars to eat later. We eat it now and get another one later.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would check and see what your commissioner(s) want you to do. I ONLY stand over the ball if there's a time out or an injury. There's no need to stand over the ball until the RFP between downs anymore as most centers should already know that they can't snap the ball until they hear a whistle, but I am also reiterating that fact to them to the point where they are tired of hearing it.

Between downs, I'll put the ball down, using a soft spot as the situation dictates, check my down with the wings and get out of there ASAP by BACKING out through the defense if the opportunity presents itself or looping around them while facing the offense if they are still in a huddle.

But, that's what my commissioner wants us to do.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

We are also not supposed to hold over the ball. I spot it and take a quick look then drop back to my position.
That way I'm not tripping over a NG on D, and have more time to adjust to the LBs.
If the offense comes out quick, I will tell them to wait for the RFP, but as soon as the whistle goes they can snap. They should not have to wait for me to get clear beforehand.
(we do NCAA rules, not sure if it is the same for NF) If there is something going on with subs, and I think the D needs time to adjust to the substitutes I will charge back up to the ball, but it is not normally an issue.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
I would check and see what your commissioner(s) want you to do. I ONLY stand over the ball if there's a time out or an injury. There's no need to stand over the ball until the RFP between downs anymore as most centers should already know that they can't snap the ball until they hear a whistle, but I am also reiterating that fact to them to the point where they are tired of hearing it. .
Perhaps the most effective tool the Umpire has is his voice, and the fact he's close enough to the players to be able to use it effectively. In situations like this, how effectively the Referee and Umpire communicate is also important, but you can calm players down simply by reminding them to "wait for the whistle" as you retreat into the defensive formation.

A good Referee will wait until you're clear and settled before signalling the ball RFP with his whistle.