The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
So football officials have now gone from being fashion police to being fashion conscious.
No, it they were fashion conscious they would not wear shorts, black pants or adjustable caps.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:23am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
Just got my black pants and was thinking they would look good with a black towel instead of a white one. Any thoughts?

Also, I see that Honigs is now selling black ball flags. I wonder if black beanbags will be next.
Our white hat got one of those. One of my crew members asked if he had to check the skin color box for that. Wow.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
So that is why they were made that way. And you are sure that every person who has one of those flags bought it because of that specific reason.

What if I told you that I worked with an official in a youth game wearing white shorts using a flag with a black ball? Obviously he is not using that flag so that it blends in with his shorts. Maybe he likes that the black flag does not show dirt on the ball portion as easily as a white or yellow one. Maybe black is his favorite color. There seem to be a lot of reasons why people could want a black or white flag. You can assume that each one of them bought the flag so that they won't be seen reaching for the yellow and I will assume that at least 1 of those flags were sold for a different reason.

And if reaching for your flag is such a big deal why don't you just not reach for it unless you are going to call a foul?
First mistake is you are talking about a youth game in the context of this discussion.

Secondly, the point I was making was this was the reason the product was produced a certain way. Not only is that what I know, but what I was told by the people that sold them directly to me when I purchased my black flags back in August of this year.

And I did not say it was a big deal for everyone, just giving the reason why something was made. But there have been many incidences that someone judges a call by looking at the officials. This is one reason I have been always told to wear it in my belt in the front and not in a back pocket or behind your back. And I can think of several instances where an official reached for a flag and the fact they did not call a foul made SportsCenter or simply was a big topic during a broadcast. The Maryland-Northern Illinois game is one of the biggest situations that came to mind several years ago.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:59am
Do not give a damn!!

No one asked you to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Wow. I guess I've been doing it all wrong all these years. I mean, I just figured the coaches *knew* I carried flags and didn't have to hide them.

It will be a cold day in you-know-where before I tape a flag or buy one with a ball any color other than yellow. (Unless I ever move up and then I'll do whatever they tell me to do, of course.)
You know Rich, we all do not do the same things. It is OK.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
No, it they were fashion conscious they would not wear shorts, black pants or adjustable caps.
Or knickers. Knickers, in general, are ghastly. Just cause we've worn them for years doesn't change that.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Or knickers. Knickers, in general, are ghastly. Just cause we've worn them for years doesn't change that.
I heard a white hat a few weeks ago pining for stirrups in lieu of the one-piece socks.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I heard a white hat a few weeks ago pining for stirrups in lieu of the one-piece socks.
I don't disagree, actually. One piece socks are hard to clean and don't last very long (at least for me, mainly cause I want them WHITE) -- something that would be easier with nylon stirrups worn with sanitaries.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Stirrups are way nicer than one piece socks. If the stirrup look is not wanted the bottom portion of the stirrup could be made white instead of black.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Stirrups are way nicer than one piece socks. If the stirrup look is not wanted the bottom portion of the stirrup could be made white instead of black.
All black socks wouldn't look bad, either.

I like working with very white knickers, socks, and a white hat.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Hold on here. On one post, you describe knickers as "ghastly." On another, you say you "...like working with very white knickers..." I'm a little confused.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Hold on here. On one post, you describe knickers as "ghastly." On another, you say you "...like working with very white knickers..." I'm a little confused.
He doesn't like knickers. He has to wear them. He likes his knickers to be very white.