The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Substitution-NCAA

like NF, do all 11 players in NCAA have to be inside the 9 yard mark at sometime after the RFP whistle??
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

yes, no, maybe

the wording is different, the meaning is very similar. Team A players who participated in the previous down shall have been between the nine-yard marks after the previous down and before the next snap. In most cases in the NCAA there is no longer a "rfp" the ball is just set and is ready to go....

Last edited by cmathews; Tue Oct 06, 2009 at 12:10pm.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

was wondering about the play in the Wyoming-Florida Atlantic game saturday. UW get's called for "unsportsmanlike conduct-substitution deception" and was wondering if that is what happened.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo-referee View Post
was wondering about the play in the Wyoming-Florida Atlantic game saturday. UW get's called for "unsportsmanlike conduct-substitution deception" and was wondering if that is what happened.
This is typically called when a pretended substitution is used to deceive the defense.

For example, team A has 11 players on the field. After a 2nd down play, the 11 players huddle up, 3 players jog onto the field and 4 players jog toward the sideline with one stopping just short of the sideline, facing back into the field. At the snap, the player that was near the sideline runs downfield and catches a pass. This would be a foul for "unsportsmanlike conduct-substitution deception."
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

yep

From what I can gather, that is exactly what happened. What I am hearing is that they ran the "Georgia Tech" fake field goal, and it was properly flagged as UNS..
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

This may be the funniest thing I have read this year.

Laramie Boomerang - Laramie, Wyoming > Archives > Sports > ?Pokes grind one out

Quote:
Explanation please

Christensen was uncertain why a penalty was called on a fake field goal attempt that went for a touchdown in the second quarter.

The official signaled an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the play. Later, Christensen was called for another unsportsmanlike conduct for arguing, and UW had to punt.

“I don’t know what the call is because I talked to the umpire prior to the game and told him that we had the play in,” Christensen said. “Then somebody else called (the penalty).

“It was completely legal. It was run on ESPN by Georgia Tech four weeks ago for a touchdown — the exact same play.

“Today it was illegal, and it was never brought to my attention when I told them prior to the game that we’d be running it.”
ACC denounces trick plays - Tigers - The State

It was illegal when Georgia Tech ran it. The officials just missed the call. It was illegal when Wyoming ran it. The officials got it right. Sucks for Wyoming.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:08pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullycon View Post
This may be the funniest thing I have read this year.

Laramie Boomerang - Laramie, Wyoming > Archives > Sports > ?Pokes grind one out

ACC denounces trick plays - Tigers - The State

It was illegal when Georgia Tech ran it. The officials just missed the call. It was illegal when Wyoming ran it. The officials got it right. Sucks for Wyoming.
Yes, but the coach made a very good point. It seems that one official said it was ok, and then they got flagged for it by another official. If that were true (and of course, we know how coaches and the press twist s**t all the time), then that official who misled the coach before the game probably needs to hit his books better.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Yes, but the coach made a very good point. It seems that one official said it was ok, and then they got flagged for it by another official. If that were true (and of course, we know how coaches and the press twist s**t all the time), then that official who misled the coach before the game probably needs to hit his books better.

I've had games where the coach would explain a play they were going to run and by his explanation of the play it would be perfectly legal. But then when they run it in the game it is not exactly the same and thus illegal. I would like to hope that is the case in this situation.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

OK, let's take this same play and put it in NF? is it legal or again a trickery/deception play similiar to the holder getting up and screaming he doesn't have the tee??
Because I'm willing to bet a HS coach saw this play on ESPN also and is going to try it somewhere. Just like the LSU fake field goal when the holder flipped it over his head a couple years ago. We saw a HS team try it the next week.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

The Georgia Tech play would be illegal in NF as well though it would be IP, not USC.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I would think it would be a little tougher to run it in high school due to everyone having to be inside the 9s after the ready for play...but yes somewhere someone will try to run it...most likely in Kaycee, Midwest, or Tensleep where all the other weird rules are also in effect
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I've had games where the coach would explain a play they were going to run and by his explanation of the play it would be perfectly legal. But then when they run it in the game it is not exactly the same and thus illegal. I would like to hope that is the case in this situation.
Bingo. Same here. Now I add this: "based on what your telling me that play is legal. However, we can not determine the legality of any play until we see it."
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:41pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Agreed. I hope it was the coach who botched his description, and the officials had it right.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Bingo. Same here. Now I add this: "based on what your telling me that play is legal. However, we can not determine the legality of any play until we see it."
If you're not a lawyer, you could play one on TV.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:44pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo-referee View Post
OK, let's take this same play and put it in NF? is it legal or again a trickery/deception play similiar to the holder getting up and screaming he doesn't have the tee??
Because I'm willing to bet a HS coach saw this play on ESPN also and is going to try it somewhere. Just like the LSU fake field goal when the holder flipped it over his head a couple years ago. We saw a HS team try it the next week.
Had a HS team that described this LSU play to our R and U while the wings and BJ were walking the field to check the pylons, etc. When we got together to discuss all this, I reminded R and U that when the holder flips the ball back while on his knees, the ball becomes dead. They went back to the coach and told him that was the rule, the coach wasn't too happy. After the game (they lost 36-0), the coach said we would have had some field goals if we could have run that play. They never even got close to FG range. WTF?