The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

First half of game, clock is at 1:37 (running) after a made basket by team A. The ball bounces away onto the court, and the covering official sounds his whistle. There were subs at the table, but I thought I remembered a rule change this year regarding subs and inadvertent whistles, so I didn't blow the horn until the official nearest the table beckoned the players onto the court.

I asked the R before he went out for halftime, and was just plain confused by the answers I got both at the end of the half and right before the 2nd half (don't even remember them that well).

I went home and came across 3-4.5 and 3-4.6. Do these rules mean that if the official blows the whistle and stops the clock (except an inadvertent whistle/timer's mistake) at any point in the game, that subs may come in?

BTW, Chuck (and any other folks who work NCAA in Massachussetts), do you ever work games at Williams College in Williamstown?
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

As far as I know, the limitation only applies to the last minute of the game.

From the NCAA 2002-03 Rules Changes bulletin:

Rule 5-9.10: Substitution shall not be allowed when an official stops the game clock after a successful field goal in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or the last 59.9 seconds of any extra period when an administrative mistake or inadvertent whistle occurs. Rationale: By rule, substitutions were allowed in these infrequent situations in previous years, which the committee felt was not fair.

In your case, from what I can see, because the official blew his whistle after the ball rolled away, subs are allowed, and would continue to be okay. I think it would be the same even if it did occur with less than 1:00 to go, as this is not an inadvertent whistle or an administrative error situation. Subs are allowed during a dead ball. The ball is dead when an official blows his whistle.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Jan 19th, 2003 at 12:24 AM]
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Canuckref is right. The prohibition is only during the last minute of the game when the clock is stopped for a made basket.

And yes, I'm up at Williams usually once or twice a year. (The frownie is for the drive, not for the level of play) Why do you ask?

Chuck
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And yes, I'm up at Williams usually once or twice a year. (The frownie is for the drive, not for the level of play) Why do you ask?
Understood on the drive - all the people I know in that area say they're far far away from any other area known to man.

I actually found out over Christmas break that my best friend plays for Williams' JV squad. Figured I could tell you to "call it both ways" to favor his team!
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I think it would be the same even if it did occur with less than 1:00 to go, as this is not an inadvertent whistle or an administrative error situation. Subs are allowed during a dead ball. The ball is dead when an official blows his whistle.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Jan 19th, 2003 at 12:24 AM]

My understanding is with under 1:00 to go in the game, if you blow the whistle to retrieve the ball when its just bouncing around, it technically is an inadvertant whistle, because you had no reason to blow it, since the clock was stopped. I was told the best way to handle that is, if the ball gets loose afterwards, no matter where it goes (unless of course its a delay of game by one of the teams) that you would just get the ball, not blow your whistle, give the ball to the inbounder and continute play. If you dont blow your whistle you dont even have to deal with the technicalities of the rule. Just my thoughts. . .
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 04:00pm
Esteemed Participant

The latest NCAA teleconference bulletins cleared it up even more...if the ball does bounce away in a "large area" it is still OK for the official to blow the whistle, go get ball, and let subs in...if it is just bouncing to the bleachers, paxsonref is right on...
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The latest NCAA teleconference bulletins cleared it up even more...if the ball does bounce away in a "large area" it is still OK for the official to blow the whistle, go get ball, and let subs in...if it is just bouncing to the bleachers, paxsonref is right on...
Thanks for the bulletin reference, rocky. The R had mentioned something about how far away the ball went and whether it was accidental or hit or . . .

Is this on the web with the other NCAA officiating bulletins?
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Just found the bulletin - on the women's side. The rule is written the same way for men; does anyone know if the interpretation is the same, too?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Believe the interpretation is the same.

Bottom line is it's a game management thing, depending on how far the ball gets away from the sideline. Paxsonref had a good take on it, I think. Not sure if I would classify it as an inadvertent whistle, though.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle

According to the NCAA Bulletin, if you blow your whistle in the last minute of a game or OT in order to retrieve a loose ball it is no longer to be considered an inadvertent whistle, thus substitutes are allowed. Not sure where paxsonref officiates but I have been in some college gyms where the ball can roll a long way from the basket. In these cases you have to stop the clock in order to retrieve the ball. What are you going to do if it's a 1 point ballgame with 3 or 4 seconds left and the losing team has to retrieve the ball after a made basket and it is rolling 50 feet away from the basket?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

NCAAREF,
my point is, the clock is stopped in the last minute of the game, so there is no reason to rush to it, you dont really have any reason to blow your whistle in that situation, and it gives an advantage to any team that has subs sitting at the table if you let them in. . . I think that was the reasoning for the NCAA anyway. . .
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Found this on the NCAA website, take note of the Play situation at the bottom.

Rule 3-4.6, BR-51.

Clarification that the only time substitutions are not allowed in the last 59.9 seconds is on a timer's mistake or an inadvertent whistle. If the whistle is blown for other reasons substitutions are allowed. Examples:

Clarification of a two- or three-point goal
Net getting caught up on basket
Correctable error
Book error (scorer forgets to inform official of player's fifth foul)
Injury, blood, disqualification

If a timeout is requested when play is stopped for a timer's mistake or an inadvertent whistle, substitutions will be allowed.

Play: Ball rolls past the bleachers on an open ended court during the last 59.9 seconds of the second half and the official blows the whistle.

Ruling: Official should deem this an inadvertent whistle and substitutions should not be allowed to enter the game. The clock is stopped. There is no need to blow the whistle
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Paxson,

For women, at least, that play has been revoked. Take a look at Bulletin #2:
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...3/20030110.pdf
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 11:17am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck
I'm not from the NE, but knowing the size of the states, what is so bad about the drive. I know the New England winters can be rough, but it can't be that far. So why is the drive so bad?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
So why is the drive so bad?
Because it's as far north and west as you can go and still be in MA. We have to go over what passes for mountains (The Berkshires) to get there, and there is no direct way to get there. You either have to go wayyyyy out of your way (if you want to use the main roads) or you have to take the winding, 35 mph roads through the mountains. If there is any snow at all, the drive is treacherous. If it weren't for the huge $130 payday, it wouldn't even be worth the trip

Chuck