The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Delay call AFTER/during a punt

Speaking as a fan, I don't understand what happened Saturday night during a game...

4th down. K team punts the ball and it trails OOB ~R25 yard line. Flag gets thrown ~R35. WH comes out and this is his announced explanation...

"Delay, receiving team, sideline warning. 1st down" (the 1st is for the receiving team).

Now, it is possible some of R's offense might have come onto the field a second or so before the whistle... they were definitely in the "coaches box" if not on the field, so we understood the sideline warning. When we saw the flag we thought a coach said something to an official. What could cause a "delay" penalty DURING play?
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
it sounds like the "delay" call is incorrect, probably just a sideline warning.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Yea, the first flag for sideline warning is just that, a warning, with no penalty marched off. second flag is 5 yards and third is an unsportsmnakike conduct penalty of 15 yards. Not sure why the R said "delay" but sometimes we make mistakes (no surprise huh?)
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Speaking as a fan, I don't understand what happened Saturday night during a game...

4th down. K team punts the ball and it trails OOB ~R25 yard line. Flag gets thrown ~R35. WH comes out and this is his announced explanation...

"Delay, receiving team, sideline warning. 1st down" (the 1st is for the receiving team).

Now, it is possible some of R's offense might have come onto the field a second or so before the whistle... they were definitely in the "coaches box" if not on the field, so we understood the sideline warning. When we saw the flag we thought a coach said something to an official. What could cause a "delay" penalty DURING play?
Just an extraneous delay signal. The only place a delay signal is in the middle of a sequence is failure to wear required equipment (caught prior to the snap).
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Cool. Thanks guys. IIRC, they did step off 5 yards, but it was in the first half and really didn't affect the games outcome, just a question I had.

Thanks for the response.

ETA: I went back to the offical play by play and here's the line:
Quote:
O'CONNOR, Logan punt 30 yards to the TTU14, out-of-bounds, PENALTY TTU delay of game 5
yards to the TTU9, 1st and 10, TTU ball on TTU9.
TTU is the R team.

Last edited by SamG; Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 05:03pm.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

A delay of game on the receiving team would be when a receiver catches a fair catch and takes off running.

My crew had this call in a sophomore game this year. First one I can ever think of calling or being involved in.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Are you talking about a college game? If so, this is correct. We don't have warning any more when a coach is in the "white" restricted area off the sideline. The coaching box is 6 feet behind the sideline. The only warning they get are verbal warnings. We work as much as we can to get them back before we resort to throwing a flag. The first 2 flags are delay of game penalties and they are penalized at the end of the play. Any flags after those first 2 are then 15 yard penalties for sideline interference.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is college. Thanks Jason. Is this a new rule this year? I didn't know coaches couldn't go into the "white area" (6' off the sideline). I thought players were restricted from there.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 07:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Sam, are you talking about the Texas Tech @ Texas game? I believe the removal of the sideline warning was one of the rule changes last year.

That restricted area (solid white 6 feet) is for officials, coaches get the next section and then the players get the next. That's how it's supposed to work anyways.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Yes, it is college. Thanks Jason. Is this a new rule this year? I didn't know coaches couldn't go into the "white area" (6' off the sideline). I thought players were restricted from there.
No, it has been like that for some time.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

OK, thanks guys... learn something new.

Welpe... no, it was actually Tenn. Tech @ Eastern Kentucky.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone!