The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
Lightbulb Punt

Hi guys
I want to share this punt video with you. I think it's good to use for presentations.

http://dragons-media.dreamhosters.co...punt/index.htm

Share your comments (ncaa rules)

Last edited by ML99; Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 08:47am.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

I don't do NCAA rules but I believe that the rules for this play are the same at all levels. Obviously there is a muffed punt and not a catch and a fumble. Thus because there is a muff the kicking team is allowed to gain possession of the ball and retain possession at the spot of their recovery or catch. However they are not allowed to advance it. This play shows that the top wing knew what was happening but the BJ seems to not be fully sure about what to do as he seemed to want to give a TD.

The other point to make is about then having a coach on the field after the play. Perhaps there was a time-out taken but then why isn't there a defensive coach on the field as well. White's coach seems to be out there asking the officials about what is going on and perhaps trying to work a TD out of the play. But then again there may have been a time-out and he may have had the right to be out there though I thought all authorized conferences were supposed to be at the sideline using NCAA rules.

Last edited by Warrenkicker; Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 07:33am.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Warren and echo his thoughts.

1) H is giving the stop the clock signal and appears to be holding a spot @ 15.
2) B looks lost. Didn't see a bean bag.
3) What the heck is the coach doing on the field?
4) Some crew mechanics look pretty sloppy.
5) L bounces instead of a smooth slide/glide.

They appear to be setting up on the 15, so did they get it right?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Game (I'm assuming) was in Europe, hence NCAA rules. Don't know about how TOs are administered in this league. If strictly by NCAA rules, TO should be at the sideline.

As for the play, I agree with the others. Clearly the ball should have been blown dead when possessed by A. HL appears to have nailed it for the crew. BJ, shall we say, got 'caught up in the moment.' Still no reason for him to have just been walking, following the play though. Also, don't know about mechanics used, but the LJ left the LOS just before the snap, but then stopped only about three or four yards downfield. I know some five-man mechanics have the LJ go downfield on the punt, but he seemed to be in a position where he had one foot in the boat and one on the dock. Either be downfield or stayy at the LOS. Where he was didn't seem to buy him much. And, if he was supposed to be downfield, I would have expected to see the BJ favoring the HL's side of the field. He was in the center favoring the LJ's side. I think the LJ just anticipated the snap and left a tick or two too early.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

It looked very strange to me to see the LJ leave the LOS before the snap and the HL released at the snap...Who's gonna rule on the punt crossing if no one is there??
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

It seems the HL cheated a couple of steps moving down field, but not so far that he couldn't have retreated if whether or not the kick crossing the line became a factor.

Regarding the coach on the field, not knowing whether or not their was a time out called, one of the officials NOT involved in the discussion should be on the alert for things like this and if there was a TO called, gently steer the coach towards his teams huddle, or if no time out was called, intercept him and gently steer him back to his sideline, assuring him that, either way, the Referee will explain everything once he gets things sorted out.

It's an ounce of prevention, pound of cure type thing.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Great video!

NCAA and NFHS the principle is the same...you can advance a fumble but you cannot advance a muff.

The receiver muffed. The kickers recovered and should have first down at the spot of recovery. No possibility of a touchdown for the kickers.

The moving LJ does bother me. Why does he move away, he has an official covering downfield, even though, the HL may have responsibility for the ball crossing the line and he should be looking for offside (NCAA) encroachment (if, NFHS).

The coach on the field. It appears the officials are discussing the play. In the pregame the officials should have discussed who enforces the sidelines. The HL who owns that sideline joins the discussion. But the LJ appears unoccupied and should have moved to help the coach back to his sideline.

Last edited by Ed Hickland; Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 01:54pm.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Good comments from everyone!
Bolzano is in Italy I believe, and Swarco in Austria, and they are probably also dealing with the sort of enthusiastic if slightly misguided players and coaches as we have in Germany.

I often see coaches in Germany taking a 'head coaches conference' either to complain about a call or from ignorance, but never see the R charging a timeout for it. It sort of goes with playing at this level, they are not quite as knowlegable as they believe they are.
I bet the coach was probably just trying to figure out why it wasn't a TD nad was a little too enthusiastic.

James
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Still no reason for him to have just been walking
Bad mechanics, apparent bad rules knowledge, bad hustle.

I don't know this official, but an observer would not be impressed with this play.

LJ saved the crew, remember you are a crew, speak up if you see something wrong.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yellow card for the coach.

Red card for crew mechanics and rules knowledge.

I hope Munchen won the game.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all your comments guys, but what crack me up is the coach on the field. I have never seen a coach come on the field like that who is so calm. He doesn't look like he says a word, and if he does he surely doesn't cause any problems for the officials. I'm not saying he should be there, but it is funny how passive he is out there. Just kind of like, "hey, what are you guys talking about anyway."
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
I hope Munchen won the game.
Munchen didn't play! ;-) it's Innsbruck (Austria) vs. Bolzano (Italy)
It was a season preparation game with an Italian referee crew. In Europe we play NCAA rules.

Thanks for all your thoughts ... we came to the same result after reviewing the video: no TD, 1st & 10, coach on field, bad mechanics ...
Thought you can use this video for your clinics so I posted it.

cheers
ML99

Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML99
It was a season preparation game with an Italian referee crew. In Europe we play NCAA rules.

Thanks for all your thoughts ... we came to the same result after reviewing the video: no TD, 1st & 10, coach on field, bad mechanics ...

cheers
ML99

While my post was critical of the LJ for leaving early and not helping the coach, one mechanic he did exceptionally well was moving down the field during the punt.

He moved laterally keeping the field in full view all the way. So many wings tend to turn and run downfield leaving the majority of the players and action over their shoulder.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML99

cheers
ML99

Thanks for posting it. It's always nice to be able to see videos and find the things that the crew did well and the things that they didn't do well. Sometimes I think we learn more from the later.

Auf Wiedersehen!