The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
on 4th and 8, the quarterback takes the snap under center and pitches to the running back who then punts the ball. does the punter have protection from being roughed? i was not on the game, but the officials called roughing the punter. i thought it was a tough call because the defense thinks he is going to run with it is coming hard and then the running back goes to kick the ball. i dont believe he should be awarded protection. plese let me know what your views are on this.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Since he is for a period of time a runner until he actually kicks the ball he does not have special protection.
Here's where judgment enters the picture.
Contact by the pursuit may not be a foul if it reasonably certain (to you the official) that a kick will not be made.

If you think the contact could have been avoided after the kick was made, then you have a foul.

Check case book 9.4.5.Sit-B
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
on 4th and 8, the quarterback takes the snap under center and pitches to the running back who then punts the ball. does the punter have protection from being roughed? i was not on the game, but the officials called roughing the punter. i thought it was a tough call because the defense thinks he is going to run with it is coming hard and then the running back goes to kick the ball. i dont believe he should be awarded protection. plese let me know what your views are on this.
This is a judgement call on the covering official. If the covering official determines that the contact was unavoidable because it was not reasonablly certain a kick would be made, no foul. But if the contact was avoidable, it is still roughing.

In the comments of Situation 9.4.5 It is always roughing the kicker if the contact could have been avoided regardless of whether or not it was apparent a kick would be made. Only unavoidable contact is ignored if it is not reasonably certain a kick will be made.