The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Ending a period

Pretty sure we got this right, but can't seem to find rule book-based proof.

With 19 seconds remaining in the first quarter and the clock running, A70 is flagged for a false start. The penalty is administered and the game clock restarted on the ready-for-play. Clock ran out before another play was run.

We extended the period for one untimed down, but the rule seems to say that this should be done for fouls that occur "during the down". I am almost positive this is right and has been in previous case books, but I can't find it in this year's book.

Any help?
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

False starts, encroachments, dead ball fouls don't count when it comes to extending the period. The foul has to be a live ball foul, other than unsportsmanlike or nonplayer or LOD fouls.

3-3-3 . . . A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurred:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for those fouls listed in 3-3-4b.
b. There was a double foul.
c. There was an inadvertent whistle.
d. If a touchdown was scored, the try is attempted unless the touchdown is
scored during the last down of the fourth period and the point(s) would not
affect the outcome of the game or playoff qualifying.
If (a), (b), (c) or (d) occurs during the untimed down, the procedure is repeated.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

The key words in NF: 3-3-3 are, "if during the last timed down of the period". In your example, that would be the play preceeding the False Start. Unless there was an accepted and enforced penalty during that play, the game should have ended when time expired.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Ending a period

That is exactly what we were seeing in the rule book, but on the way home we asked the "what if" question: what if the score was A7 - B14. Team A has the ball 4th and goal on the 2 yard line and has no time outs left and the clock running. While QB, A12 is calling his cadence, B encroaches with 1 second left. If Team A is unable to get a play off after the reset, it would seem an unfair situation that Team B COULD have used. Admittedly, one could apply the "unfair acts" rule, but we shouldn't have to use that to keep the game fair.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Ending a period

Make the previous "what if" even worse. Have the encroachment by B happen with 0.9 seconds left. Since A must be set for 1 second before the snap, they are literally unable to run another down. You explain the rule to coach of Team A.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUmp View Post
Pretty sure we got this right, but can't seem to find rule book-based proof.

With 19 seconds remaining in the first quarter and the clock running, A70 is flagged for a false start. The penalty is administered and the game clock restarted on the ready-for-play. Clock ran out before another play was run.

We extended the period for one untimed down, but the rule seems to say that this should be done for fouls that occur "during the down". I am almost positive this is right and has been in previous case books, but I can't find it in this year's book.

Any help?
This foul did not occur during the last timed down and the quarter is over.

You were wrong to extend the period.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is exactly what we were seeing in the rule book, but on the way home we asked the "what if" question: what if the score was A7 - B14. Team A has the ball 4th and goal on the 2 yard line and has no time outs left and the clock running. While QB, A12 is calling his cadence, B encroaches with 1 second left. If Team A is unable to get a play off after the reset, it would seem an unfair situation that Team B COULD have used. Admittedly, one could apply the "unfair acts" rule, but we shouldn't have to use that to keep the game fair.
Three points:

1. No coach or player would ever think to do this, so it's not worth worrying about.

2. If I'm a wing in this situation, I hold my whistle 1 second before flagging the encroachment, and the game is over.

3. Why is it unfair to A if they can't get a play off before time expires? Isn't that their problem? Game's gotta end at some point.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 09:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Make the previous "what if" even worse. Have the encroachment by B happen with 0.9 seconds left. Since A must be set for 1 second before the snap, they are literally unable to run another down. You explain the rule to coach of Team A.
I would explain it if asked, except I would be already half way to the locker room.

The rules are in place, simply enforce them. The coaches already think we make them up, so don't make stuff up that isn't there.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't have to. Just invoke that timing provision that keeps time out until the snap after a team fouls to consume time.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 10:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
You don't have to. Just invoke that timing provision that keeps time out until the snap after a team fouls to consume time.
But I'd have to think they intentionally did this and I probably wouldn't in this case.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Three points:

1. No coach or player would ever think to do this, so it's not worth worrying about.

2. If I'm a wing in this situation, I hold my whistle 1 second before flagging the encroachment, and the game is over.

3. Why is it unfair to A if they can't get a play off before time expires? Isn't that their problem? Game's gotta end at some point.
Actually, they do think of this. That is why referees have rule 3-4-3. For an obviously unfair advantage, the referee could start that play on the snap as opposed to the ready. Why should B gain an advantage on the clock by fouling?
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Here is the rule from NCAA. The rule in high school is similar.

Unfair Clock Tactics
ARTICLE 3. The referee shall order the game clock or play clock started or
stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics
obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is by the team ahead in the score. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal after Team A throws an illegal forward or backward pass to conserve time
(Rule 3-3-2-e-15) (A.R. 3-4-3-I-V).
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

3-4-6
ART. 6 . . . When a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally, the
referee shall order the clock started or stopped.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Right, if you feel that B intentionally encroached with 1 second left, the referee can order the game clock stopped and only have it start on the snap.

I have actually called delay of game on B in a similar situation.

A had just run for a second down to the B5. There were about 15 seconds to go and A was hustling up so they could spike the ball. As the last players are getting out of the pile there were about 7 seconds left, B1 slaps the ball away so that it will take longer for us to get the ball and mark it RFP. I killed the clock and flagged B for DoG. B ended up stopping A from scoring, but A was able to get one more play off.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post
Actually, they do think of this. That is why referees have rule 3-4-3. For an obviously unfair advantage, the referee could start that play on the snap as opposed to the ready. Why should B gain an advantage on the clock by fouling?
I'm not going to apply 3-4-6 just because team B fouled. A simple encroachment isn't an obviously unfair tactic.