The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

A HS, "what if" question. End of 3rd quarter, before 4th quarter starts. We have a dead ball foul, i don't think it matters the kind of foul, it still results the same, I THINK. Because it is a dead ball foul we have a T = 2shots and the ball oob. Now, since it is the end of period, do we end the period and start the 4th quarter with the foul shots and give the ball to the team that was fouled? Or do we extend the 3rd period by shooting the foul shots and start the 4th period with the AP arrow?
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Bart,
You start the fourth quarter with the free throws and the ball at the division line for the shooting team. The rule reference is 5-6 art. 4.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Red face

I just re-read your post and if it was a common foul at the end of the quarter, you would end the quarter with the proper administration of the foul. But the T starts the following quarter. If it is at the end of the game and the resulting free throws won't affect the outcome, the game ends.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Bart, if the period and all related activities are completed, then you shoot the technical FTs to begin the next period.

If the period has not been completed (for example, a foul was called with no time remaining and FTs are being shot with no one on the line), and a kid curses at you, then you would extend the period and shoot the technical FTs as part of the current period. Then you would begin the next period with the AP.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I had to learn the lesson the hard way on a tech between periods in a tournament earlier this year. The AP arrow has nothing to do with the throw in after the T...just leave it where it is at until the next a/p throw in. For instance you have a T on team a, and team b will get the throw in to start the next period, nothing happens to the arrow in that instance.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
The AP arrow has nothing to do with the throw in after the T...just leave it where it is at until the next a/p throw in. For instance you have a T on team a, and team b will get the throw in to start the next period, nothing happens to the arrow in that instance.
That's right. Part of the penalty for a Technical Foul is a throw-in by the offended team, which can not be ignored just because it happens between periods. You must start the next period with a throw-in by the offended team. The AP arrow does not change.

Blackhawk
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I think i like the NCAA rule better.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

Me too...point of interruption is so much easier!