The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 01:27pm
Chain of Fools

Re-read the OP guys...

Quote:
bats the ball from the snapper before he can snap it.
You've got encroachment and a warning not to pull that stunt again.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Our state rep. contacted the NFHS regarding this scenario a few years back. The ruling was (I don't have my manuals with me for reference) that the snap begins when the center begins movement of the ball and ends when he releases it. It is encroachment for any player to be in the NZ "prior" to the snap.

We were told if any defensive player slaps the ball away while it is being snapped an encroachment penalty is to be called on B.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

You guys missed what the original poster was getting at.

Nose Guard comes up when everyone goes down and bats the ball from the snapper before he can snap it.

This is clearly a DOG and can be USC if the officials feel it is being done to incite ill will.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'd go with delay of game (he purposely commited a foul to prevent the ball from being put in play). Then I'd rule abuse of the timing rule, and start the clock on the ready. Then nicely warn him that I can understand why he did it, but it's an unsporting act and to not do it again.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2 View Post
I'd go with delay of game (he purposely commited a foul to prevent the ball from being put in play). Then I'd rule abuse of the timing rule, and start the clock on the ready. Then nicely warn him that I can understand why he did it, but it's an unsporting act and to not do it again.
The prohibition for encroachment begins with the "Ready for Play", so even as you describe it, the appropriate foul is encroachment. If you feel like it DOG would produce the same results, and unless there was something else going on USC would be excessive and inappropriate.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Interestingly enough, Redding won't allow for the possibility of B swatting the snap. It either has to be encroachment or a snap infraction, saying A must have double clutched in order that B has the reflexes to swat the snap.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I say you slowly go & retrieve the ball and "accidentally" let those 30 sec. run off your watch, which is now official time.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
Interestingly enough, Redding won't allow for the possibility of B swatting the snap. It either has to be encroachment or a snap infraction, saying A must have double clutched in order that B has the reflexes to swat the snap.
According to one school of thought, the snap is instantaneous and has no duration. On that view, it's impossible to swat a snap, and the Reddings interp makes perfect sense. It's either encroachment or a snap infraction.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Why would you try and fit some "similar" circumstance to replace what is a direct remedy to the situation described by NF: 7-1-5 &/or 6 (Encroachment)?
Because in this case, no good can come out of playing out the final 30 secs. and enforcing this penalty as if they were still playing football.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would call this either delay or encroachment, unless as stated, it looked as if he was doing this in frustration or trying to save time/stall...then USC fits the bill.

I don't see anything wrong with how you handled it given the situation you explained that night.