The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Kicking question

OK, I'm only a fan, but I've got a rule question I'm hoping you guys can explain (sorry I don't know all the correct abbreviations)...

Situation 1: Team A punting from their 20 yardline. Punt comes down at the 50, hits A88, and continues on to the B40. Where is the ball spotted?

Situation 2: Team A punting from the 50. Punt comes down at B2, hits A88, and continues into the EZ. Where is the ball spotted?

My untrained (aside from watching as a fan) brain says #1 is @ the 50 for B. #2 is at the B20 (touchback).

IF I am correct (absolutely no guarantee of that), why? Both involve touching the ball by the kicking team with the only difference being the location on the field. If I am incorrect (probable), please set me straight.

Thank you in advance.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

In HS football, the rules permit the receiving team (usually designated R, not B) to choose where they will take the ball: either the spot of first touching by the kicking team, or the result of the play.

The answers will be different in your two situations. In (1), R will take the ball at the spot of first touching, as you say. In (2) it's more advantageous for them to take the result of the play, which is a touchback. First touching is defined in rule 2-12.

Your intuitions are correct, and now you know why!
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Thanks mb... that makes sense. Is it the same in NCAA?
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
OK, I'm only a fan, but I've got a rule question I'm hoping you guys can explain (sorry I don't know all the correct abbreviations)...

Situation 1: Team A punting from their 20 yardline. Punt comes down at the 50, hits A88, and continues on to the B40. Where is the ball spotted?

Situation 2: Team A punting from the 50. Punt comes down at B2, hits A88, and continues into the EZ. Where is the ball spotted?

My untrained (aside from watching as a fan) brain says #1 is @ the 50 for B. #2 is at the B20 (touchback).

IF I am correct (absolutely no guarantee of that), why? Both involve touching the ball by the kicking team with the only difference being the location on the field. If I am incorrect (probable), please set me straight.

Thank you in advance.
One other point, in Situation 1, the play is still live. R can pick the ball up at B40 and advance.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.

I guess the part I was missing was I wasn't accounting for the receiving team having the option of the penalty or play.

This fan thanks you.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I guess the part I was missing was I wasn't accounting for the receiving team having the option of the penalty or play.

This fan thanks you.
Technically, first touching by K is not a foul (and so there's no flag and no penalty), though it functions like a penalty in some ways.

I don't do college, and so can't answer your question about whether NCAAF has the same rule.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

At one time -- I'm sure that time ended before 1955, probably before 1950 -- first touching by K inside R's 20 (or maybe just inside their 10) was penalizable as a touchback. They didn't want team K to be able to prevent a touchback by killing a ball that was moving toward the end zone.

And for a time such illegal touching was a foul that could cancel an opposing penalty. So was an incomplete forward pass!

Robert
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 05:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Situation 1: Team A punting from their 20 yardline. Punt comes down at the 55, hits A88, and continues on to the B40. Where is the ball spotted?

Situation 2: Team A punting from the 55. Punt comes down at B2, hits A88, and continues into the EZ. Where is the ball spotted?
CANADIAN RULING:

(50 changed to 55 to suit the Cdn field.)

1. A flag for No Yards is thrown. If A88 was onside, the flag will be waived off. This would be a 15-yard Restraining Zone (No Yards) foul, applied at the 55. Result: Team B 1D/10 @ A-40.

2. A flag for No Yards is thrown. If A88 was onside, the flag will be waived off. This would be a 15-yard Restraining Zone (No Yards) foul, applied at the B-2. Result: Team B 1D/10 @ B-17.