The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Some people feel the same about being the referee -- it's a mental challenge and I enjoy it.
Rich, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the WH position. You have to be well rounded in all the rules vs knowing just your position. I guess I like getting out there and running and "trying" to keep up with the young guys.

Last edited by schmitty1973; Tue Aug 18, 2009 at 09:19pm.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973 View Post
Rich, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the WH position. You have to be well rounded in all the rules vs knowing just your position. I guess I like getting out there and running and "trying" to keep up with the young guys.
I understand. I work BJ/wing a few times a year just to get some good running in. I could go back to working a wing fulltime someday -- just not in the cards for now.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in IL or MO we never wore WH for sub-varsity games. WHen I came to NE it is assumed R will always where a WH.

My advice...which has not already been given.

Buy a data-wallet with signals in it, or at least copy and carry those, because chances are your first or second game someone will bring you an aiding the runner call or failure to wear required equipment call.

Rehearse your coaches conference and your coin toss. If your state allows it, do the coin toss off the field as early as possible.

Even though its a sub-varsity game do a pre-game with your crew.

During warm-ups learn the number of each team's passers and kickers and whether they are right or left handed/footed, so you can set on the correct side of the formation.

Keep it simple.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

You are probably right about the distance: 12-15 yds. To be honest, I don't think about the exact distance anymore. I will have to check next game. I do know that when I first started, I lined up too close to the line and the QB.

I worked in Louisiana, Mass, Idaho, and now Alabama and the referees all wear white hats for all levels.

Last edited by ppaltice; Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 09:05am.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
For most sub-varsity games, a number of officials are hired but no specific position assignments are made. The 3-5 officials get together 15 minutes before the game and decide who is going to work where. To show up wearing a white hat is a little presumptive.
Interesting. Our association (as is obvious from the fact that I'm asking in the first place) assigns specific positions. We've been known to switch amongst ourselves on JV games (the assigned LJ is usually a BJ, while the assigned BJ is normally an LJ), though not on varsity games.

I actually look forward to doing JV games "out of position" - especially at BJ - because I like seeing a different view of the game. Everything but U, anyway - I usually U once a season, simply to remind myself why I don't U more often.

One of my favorite on-field moments actually came last year when I was working out of position at BJ. We had a run play to the side, and the wideout was about 15 yards downfield holding the DB. The play got blown up in the backfield, so it didn't affect the play, so I ran in to warn thw wideout about his hands. "Son, remember that when you're leading the sweep, the only person I have on the entire field to watch is you, so if you're holding, I *will* see it. OK?"
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Consoldiating comments on all the replies into one (more) post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
Get a veteran umpire to work the games, they can save your butt on penalty enforcements.
Already checked that, I've got the same long-time vet for both of the first two assignments. There were a few guys I would have requested if I had been given the choice, and he's on the list, and (hopefully) he can keep me out of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
Write down what you are going to ask the coach. Use a cheat sheet if necessary. Make sure coach confirms that everyone is legally equipped. Make sure he understands the new rules, particularly the restricted area one and the 3 minute warmup one. Get captain's numbers. Make sure home team knows he is supplying the chain crew (can be problematic at some smaller schools).
I've seen a thread (don't remember if it was here or somewhere else) about using a cheat sheet for the pregame conference. Can anyone cut-and-paste (or perhaps PM or email me) a copy of a sheet they use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I stand even farther back -- probably 12-15 yards, a bit wider than the RT (for a RH QB). My eyes can close that extra 5 yards better than I can backpedal. And I look more relaxed if I don't HAVE to backpedal.

I have 2 Eisenhower dollars. Go to a coin store and spend 2-3 dollars for one. Perfect flipping coin, although I sometimes use a 50-cent piece I got in Australia.

Keep a good pace, but slow down. Wait for a box before winding on first downs. Make sure the box is right before giving a RFP. Try to be in position before a RFP -- no need to be up at the LOS and then have to scamper back.
I've worked WH a couple times in scrimmages with a long-timer that I trust (who happens to be involved with our training class), and he pointed the same thing out about positioning. I was lining up about 10 yards deep and really wide, and he pointed out how badly I'd be out of position on a running play to the far side. He suggested 15 yards, one step wider than the tackle, and that seemed to work nicely.

Our association has our own coins (a center standing over the ball ready to snap, with the tails end of the coin being.. well, his tail). I've already decided to steal a line from one of the WH I worked with years ago about "this side is heads, and I think you all can recognize which side this is" that broke the tension with the team captains.

That bit about the box is probably going to be the toughest part for me to remember. I think it was another board that I mentioned that our Commish wants all of his referees to have a year at HL before switching over, and I think this is part of the reason. I'm working HL all year on Friday nights, so hopefully I won't have much trouble remembering this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Buy a data-wallet with signals in it, or at least copy and carry those, because chances are your first or second game someone will bring you an aiding the runner call or failure to wear required equipment call.

Even though its a sub-varsity game do a pre-game with your crew.

During warm-ups learn the number of each team's passers and kickers and whether they are right or left handed/footed, so you can set on the correct side of the formation.
I got a new wallet for my game cards last year that has two laminated cards in it - one is basically a copy of the page in the rulebook with the penalty distances, and the other is all of the signals. Knowing that the only signal and penalty that aren't on those is the HC, I think I'll be OK. I've already had the nightmare about not remembering any of the signals to use!

I definitely plan on a pre-game. I've got at least one (maybe two) officials in each game whose name I don't recognize, so he's probably a newer official. I'l definitely be trying to make sure we're on the same page.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Please - keep them coming!
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973 View Post
Personally I would've chosen "Strings-No Strings"!
I've done rock-paper-scissors in JV and freshmen games just for fun. I also did it once in a varsity game. We do the coin toss while both teams are on the field for warmups. I always ask the coaches what they're going to do if they win the toss. If one team wants the ball and the other wants to defer, there's no need to flip the coin. So one game I asked the captains if they wanted to do rock-paper-scissors so I would have an official winner of the toss. They thought it was a good idea, so we did it!

No one here wears white hats for undercard games either. We see who shows up and decide who's doing what. As a varsity R, I always want to do something else if I can. My preference is LJ so I can b.s. with the home team coaches.