The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

First white hat assignment!

I've also posted this on another site, so apologies to those of you reading this twice, but I'm looking for as much input and advice as I can get...

I just got my JV schedule for the year, and I've been assigned three games at referee for the first time. Other than the obvious answer of "buy a white hat", any advice for an aspiring referee?
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 10:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALJ View Post
I've also posted this on another site, so apologies to those of you reading this twice, but I'm looking for as much input and advice as I can get...

I just got my JV schedule for the year, and I've been assigned three games at referee for the first time. Other than the obvious answer of "buy a white hat", any advice for an aspiring referee?
Buy 2 white hats?

Know your rules inside and out. Memorize all the signals and penalty enforcements. And slow down. And slow down more.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Get a veteran umpire to work the games, they can save your butt on penalty enforcements.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Get a decent flipping coin.

Stand back around 10 yards from the NZ. I thought it seemed too far back when I first started, but you will definitely want to be back a ways. I stand about 10 yards back behind the RT for a righty.

Take your time when you signal. Stop moving. Go a little slower than you think you should.

Let your umpire and wingmen work for you. If your umpire is getting the ball, let them. You will want to relay the ball in from the sidezone if it is out a ways, otherwise, don't feel obligated to touch the ball or be in the pile.

Be sure to follow sweeps to the side zone and OOB.

Don't watch the QB. Watch the defenders near the QB. That is where the action is.

Study, study, study. Be sure to talk out what you are going to do with the U and make sure he agrees. Go over the signals.

Don't forget to give a prelim signal on a penalty. Once you get the penalty information, tell your U to get the appropriate captain while you give prelim signal to the pressbox.

Know what side the pressbox is located. Seems obvious, but you don't want to signal to the wrong side.

Write down what you are going to ask the coach. Use a cheat sheet if necessary. Make sure coach confirms that everyone is legally equipped. Make sure he understands the new rules, particularly the restricted area one and the 3 minute warmup one. Get captain's numbers. Make sure home team knows he is supplying the chain crew (can be problematic at some smaller schools).
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 11:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
Get a decent flipping coin.

Stand back around 10 yards from the NZ. I thought it seemed too far back when I first started, but you will definitely want to be back a ways. I stand about 10 yards back behind the RT for a righty.

Take your time when you signal. Stop moving. Go a little slower than you think you should.

Let your umpire and wingmen work for you. If your umpire is getting the ball, let them. You will want to relay the ball in from the sidezone if it is out a ways, otherwise, don't feel obligated to touch the ball or be in the pile.

Be sure to follow sweeps to the side zone and OOB.

Don't watch the QB. Watch the defenders near the QB. That is where the action is.

Study, study, study. Be sure to talk out what you are going to do with the U and make sure he agrees. Go over the signals.

Don't forget to give a prelim signal on a penalty. Once you get the penalty information, tell your U to get the appropriate captain while you give prelim signal to the pressbox.

Know what side the pressbox is located. Seems obvious, but you don't want to signal to the wrong side.

Write down what you are going to ask the coach. Use a cheat sheet if necessary. Make sure coach confirms that everyone is legally equipped. Make sure he understands the new rules, particularly the restricted area one and the 3 minute warmup one. Get captain's numbers. Make sure home team knows he is supplying the chain crew (can be problematic at some smaller schools).
I stand even farther back -- probably 12-15 yards, a bit wider than the RT (for a RH QB). My eyes can close that extra 5 yards better than I can backpedal. And I look more relaxed if I don't HAVE to backpedal.

I have 2 Eisenhower dollars. Go to a coin store and spend 2-3 dollars for one. Perfect flipping coin, although I sometimes use a 50-cent piece I got in Australia.

I don't touch the football unless I have to. In 4-man, it's more often cause my umpire will go downfield to get a ball if needed and I'll spot it. If you're going to spot the ball, make sure you know where it goes. As a new white hat, I'd recommend letting your U spot every ball.

Keep a good pace, but slow down. Wait for a box before winding on first downs. Make sure the box is right before giving a RFP. Try to be in position before a RFP -- no need to be up at the LOS and then have to scamper back.

On prelims. I do NOT signal a prelim on penalties that occur prior to the snap (false starts, encroachment, substitution (dead ball), delay). It's awkward signaling those twice, since 99% of the time it's going to be accepted (the distance aspect). On the ones where it makes sense to decline the distance aspect, you'll know to ask. Otherwise, let the umpire step it off and signal the pressbox once.

This year I'd take any off days and find a game with an experienced WH and watch him work. Pick up all the little things he does.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Aug 18, 2009 at 11:47am.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
slow down
The best advice so far.

10 yards is nowhere near enough at any level over jr. high. We're doing 15 pretty much all the time except maybe on obvious kneel down plays. There's no good reason to be any closer than 12 yards at the snap otherwise.

Practice your signals in front of a mirror, and I'd get flash cards with the foul on one side and the signal on the other. Go through them until you know them forward and backwards. If you give good signals, everyone will assume you are a good R.

We don't wear white hats in subvarsity, including JV. Check to make sure you do.

I always get the coin flip call before a toss, have the other captain repeat, and say "If I drop it, we'll do it again." Practice that.

Otherwise, just have fun.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 03:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post

We don't wear white hats in subvarsity, including JV. Check to make sure you do.
I agree with 15 yards. That's about where I go for everything. I know some find that deep, but with a 15 yard cushion at the snap, you don't have to move on a short drop -- nothing says you have to maintain a 15 yard cushion all the way through.

When I started in TN, we only wore WH on Friday nights. Here someone always wears a white hat. I would prefer keeping the WH clean for varsity games, but instead I usually get 3 new ones for each season as for about 75% of my games I'm the R.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Sort of Off-topic. I had about a week and a half notice before I had my first chance to WH. I studied my rear end off and for the first time that "light bulb" went on and I felt like I understood alot of the rules I wasn't too sure about before. After about half way through the first quarter of the game, I thought "ehh... I'd rather be a LJ"
Just my opinion though.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 06:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973 View Post
Sort of Off-topic. I had about a week and a half notice before I had my first chance to WH. I studied my rear end off and for the first time that "light bulb" went on and I felt like I understood alot of the rules I wasn't too sure about before. After about half way through the first quarter of the game, I thought "ehh... I'd rather be a LJ"
Just my opinion though.
Some people feel the same about being the referee -- it's a mental challenge and I enjoy it.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 06:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

No white hats for subvarsity games? Interesting, I haven't heard that one before. What is the rationale for doing that?

Here, the R always wears a white hat, regardless of the level.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

If anyone here wears a white hat for a sub-varsity game I think everyone looks at them as being a little high on themselves. For most sub-varsity games, a number of officials are hired but no specific position assignments are made. The 3-5 officials get together 15 minutes before the game and decide who is going to work where. To show up wearing a white hat is a little presumptive.

I had worked a handful of white hat in JV/freshman/youth games before my first varsity game. I actually found it the easiest position to work during the plays and as long as we weren't administering penalties, it was also easy. I almost felt like I wasn't doing anything!
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 07:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
If anyone here wears a white hat for a sub-varsity game I think everyone looks at them as being a little high on themselves. For most sub-varsity games, a number of officials are hired but no specific position assignments are made. The 3-5 officials get together 15 minutes before the game and decide who is going to work where. To show up wearing a white hat is a little presumptive.

I had worked a handful of white hat in JV/freshman/youth games before my first varsity game. I actually found it the easiest position to work during the plays and as long as we weren't administering penalties, it was also easy. I almost felt like I wasn't doing anything!
I always bring both hats. Most games, it's my crew working as a crew -- in that case it's a 90% chance I'll white hat. If I'm with another group, I'll go where they tell me. I *always* show up wearing a black hat, though, hoping I can go work a wing. *I* find it easier.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Wow, how different things are in different parts of the country. Here, not only do we work 4 man for everything below varsity but our positions are also assigned. We have some flexibility say, for example, a veteran at R wants to work a newer guy in at R instead but for the most part, our positions are all assigned.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:07pm
Chain of Fools

Don't forget your coin!

I worked a MS game one with a guy doing his first WH. He forgot his coin and nobody else had one so we wound up using his PBR key ring fob. (and that doesn't stand for Professional Bull Riders)
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Don't forget your coin!

I worked a MS game one with a guy doing his first WH. He forgot his coin and nobody else had one so we wound up using his PBR key ring fob. (and that doesn't stand for Professional Bull Riders)
Personally I would've chosen "Strings-No Strings"!