The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
My assignor called me tonight with an interesting assingment. There has been a problem coach in our area. He has had many complaints filed against him by many other coaches and other people around the league. Two of our top officials were sent in last week to handle this clown, now it's my turn. I now have to go visit with Bobby Knight from Canada tomorrow. I guess I should be flattered that I have this repuation of being able to handle coaches.

My question to you is do you guys have any tips for handling a real hot head that you know is going to be in a real bad mood?

TR?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 10:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
My assignor called me tonight with an interesting assingment. There has been a problem coach in our area. He has had many complaints filed against him by many other coaches and other people around the league. Two of our top officials were sent in last week to handle this clown, now it's my turn. I now have to go visit with Bobby Knight from Canada tomorrow. I guess I should be flattered that I have this repuation of being able to handle coaches.

My question to you is do you guys have any tips for handling a real hot head that you know is going to be in a real bad mood?

TR?
After you greet him, tell him, "...And coach, if you see anything wrong, you'll let us know, won't ya?"
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 10:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I get these assignments a lot, too. I take the position that each game is different, and each coach has a new opportunity to make a complete jackass of himself starting fresh.

If he does, I treat him like any other howler monkey. However, sometimes they surprise me and act civil.

Not too often, though.

I guess what I'm saying is to start the game just like any other. If you have preconceived notions about the coach's behavior, it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and you don't want that to happen.

In my case, the coach usually knows that I am there because he is already on a short leash and that sometimes makes him reflective about his own behavior.

Not too often, though.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 12:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb All you can do...........

is call your game like normal. Give the coach a chance to be an a$$ on his own. Try not to be too quick to stick him. Let him vent and just listen. Not much else you can do. But at least you know going in that the coach has a reputation for getting out of hand. So if you do stick him, you have good justification to do so.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Stick him, early, and often!

Well! Somebody had to say it!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Talk to him/her

Make sure to let them know that you won't be listening to them officiate all night. But wait until they actually do. Your rep may proceed you and he/she may be quiet.

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I have felt good being assigned to these types of games, and I don't know why. I have one tonite as a matter of fact. This coach has a tendency to get "emotional" during the game, and has garnered a few "T"'s. However, I have not had much of a problem with him. I have found that if I just talk to him he is fine. He has come up to me after 2 of the games I had with him and just said "Thanks for talking to me about the play, I may not agree but at least I know you are paying attention." Of course having said that I will probably have to whack him tonite!!
Also, I have seen with our coach where I work, that when he knows that he has some quick triggers on the floor, he is MUCH more subdued then usual.
So that and a dollar wiill get you a coffee and donut!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 12:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
So that and a dollar wiill get you a coffee and donut!
Not in my town!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Like any other potentially conflictual situation, it is always best to be mentally prepared for what you may face, regardless of whether or not you end up facing it. I think that avoids what otherwise may be a predicatbly bad situation. I think it is more likely things will go badly if you do not have yourself in the right frame of mind to handle this coach.

So you want to think through what will happen if he starts going off on you. How can you communicate in such a way that you may be able to get him under control early on, before things escalate. That actually may allow you to ref the game without hearing a lot of BS and without having to resort to a T. And think through how much you are willing to take before you WHACK this guy, so that you have more control if and when you do resort to it.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure you and your partner agree on what you'll allow, what you won't allow, and what warnings you might give.