The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should a WH be authorized to overrule the calls of the other officials?
Yes. 8 19.05%
No but he should be authorized to change the call. 9 21.43%
Only the calling official should waive off his call. 25 59.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Kincer
Can an official besides the WH eject players/coaches if he sees fit?

Please help me out on this. Ive been a referee for two years now and plan to get certified this season.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:30pm
Chain of Fools

Yes-if it meets the parameters for an ejection in the rules.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I guess what im asking in short is: If I see a foul that is cause for ejection and I am NOT the White Hat, What are the proper channels I would have to go through to eject that player or coach?
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
I guess what im asking in short is: If I see a foul that is cause for ejection and I am NOT the White Hat, What are the proper channels I would have to go through to eject that player or coach?

You go to the referee after the play is over and tell the WH that you have such and such a foul and that #82 is ejected for (fill in the reason).

The WH will give the signals. You and the WH should then go over to the team's head coach and you should tell the HC that #82 has been ejected and explain to him why.

Unless you're a really new official, the WH shouldn't question your ejection. If you're a rookie and you ejected him for saying "Oh, darn", the the WH might suggest you rethink it, but it's your call all the way. The WH does not get a vote on it, not can he overrule your call.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
You go to the referee after the play is over and tell the WH that you have such and such a foul and that #82 is ejected for (fill in the reason).

The WH will give the signals. You and the WH should then go over to the team's head coach and you should tell the HC that #82 has been ejected and explain to him why.

Unless you're a really new official, the WH shouldn't question your ejection. If you're a rookie and you ejected him for saying "Oh, darn", the the WH might suggest you rethink it, but it's your call all the way. The WH does not get a vote on it, not can he overrule your call.
Wtih that Being said, Can a White hat over rule any penalty that you call or is he there for the sole purpose of settling disputes among the officials?
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

A WH can't overrule another official. Now we all (no matter what position we're working) will talk to another crew member if we think he's wrong, and we should never let the crew make a mistake.

A WH should always respect your flag. If he doesn't, you might as well stay home. The only way he should overrule you is if you're wrong (you called it illegal motion and it was clearly and illegal shift, or you penalized the player for a PF for cussing instead of USC, etc. The penalty still stands, he just gets to correct the call.)

Last edited by Jim D.; Mon May 04, 2009 at 03:37pm.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A WH can't overrule another official. Now we all (no matter what position we're working) will talk to another crew member if we think he's wrong, and we should never let the crew make a mistake.

A WH should always respect your flag. If he doesn't, you might as well stay home. The only way he should overrule you is if you're wrong (you called it illegal motion and it was clearly and illegal shift, or you penalized the player for a PF for cussing instead of USC, etc. The penalty still stands, he just gets to correct the call.)
Just so that you veteran guys know I am new at this and will become certified this upcoming season. Im trying to learn the ins and outs of football officiating.

My next question is what is the difference between an official wearing a White hat and an official wearing a Black hat. Obviously the Referee wears the White hat but what authority does he have that the other officials do not?
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The referee's only specific authority over and above the other officials involve:
Weather delays (with the game admin & coaches)
Forfeiting the game
Problems not specified in the rule book (this will never happen in a career)

You might think of the WH as being the spokesman for the crew. He takes the lead in many of the game duties - meeting with the coaches before the game, handling the coin toss, signalling penalties, signalling ready for play, etc. He would also back up the calling official if a meeting with the coach is necessary for an ejection or a rule explaination.

Since most eyes are on the WH, it's important that he look sharp and have great mechanics and signals. He should practice in signals front of a mirror and review tapes. If the WH looks sharp, the crew will look good.

Off the field, you may or may not be the leader or crew chief on your crew. It's common that the WH take the lead as far as setting up rules study sessions and other things like that, but it could be done by anyone.

Other than than, the WH has no more authority than any other official on the field. He is just one of the crew with his own specific area and players to watch.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

and this is according to the NFHS standards right?
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps it's just semantics, but as the WH I'm the one who ejects the player. As with any other foul call, you report what you have seen and I determine the appropriate enforcement. That is the job of the WH. It may be your call that causes the ejection, but the WH is the one who completes it.

Now then, different areas have different ideas on how the process works and I strongly suggest you look into what your association or what your crew chief wants done. Around here you will report to me what you saw. No matter how many years you have in, you will get questioned about it because an ejection is REALLY BIG and as a WH I want to confirm you are absolutely sure you saw what you saw. And we'll take our time about it because we don't want heat of the moment judgements to be made. This is the time to really think things thru. And once we decide that the ******* is gone, I go over to tell the coach the bad news and you come along as just in case he wants to hear from the covering official what you saw. And that's where our little talk thru helps you because you've had time to go over it and get it straight before someone who really is not going to be very happy with you wants and deserves some answers.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and this is according to the NFHS standards right?

The referee is the lead official of the crew. If you go to the NFHS Officials Manual the duties of each official as to the pregame responsibilities are described. The white hat designates to everyone the person in charge as opposed to the black hat. In most cases a white hat will not overrule another official. On the field responsibilities are not as strictly defined.

I can only speak for myself as a referee but every official on my crew has the same standing as myself when it comes to what you see and call on the field. Of course, that requires you as an official learn the proper mechanics and rule application. There will be times when you may see something different than another official and if you feel strongly about your call discuss with the other official regardless of the hat being worn or the number of years that official has been working. However, at no time openly and/or loudly dispute another official on the field.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
The referee is the lead official of the crew. If you go to the NFHS Officials Manual the duties of each official as to the pregame responsibilities are described. The white hat designates to everyone the person in charge as opposed to the black hat. In most cases a white hat will not overrule another official. On the field responsibilities are not as strictly defined.

I can only speak for myself as a referee but every official on my crew has the same standing as myself when it comes to what you see and call on the field. Of course, that requires you as an official learn the proper mechanics and rule application. There will be times when you may see something different than another official and if you feel strongly about your call discuss with the other official regardless of the hat being worn or the number of years that official has been working. However, at no time openly and/or loudly dispute another official on the field.
in the manual it also states the procedure for calling a disqualifying foul is as follows (Not word for word but basically):

The calling official shall notify the player/coach that he is ejected
The official shall make it clear that it is for the rest of the game
and then report to the White Hat and other officials the number and foul

Quote:

Im not as expeirenced as most but I do agree with what Jim D said. If an official says he saw what he saw, throws the flag, and makes the call then he has done his job. I think having someone come behind you and overrule a call that you made (whether it be an ejection or a simple 5 yard penalty) makes the crew look some what like they do not know what they are doing.

For Example: Last year I was the line judge for a junior rec league football game. After the snap the runner was tackled about 10-15 yards beyond the LOS. I threw a flag and instantly another official came up to the white hat before I got to him to discuss what i was calling and was saying "That was a legal hit, There was no block in the back" The white hat waived it off but little did he know I was not calling a block in the back. I was calling illegal helmet contact due to the player lowering his head and making contact with the runner. (I guess its also known as spearing)

I told my coordinator about what had happened and he agreed that no official's call should ever be waived off unless he himself decides to do so after discussing with the other officials the rule in which he is enforcing.

Last edited by Brandon Kincer; Tue May 05, 2009 at 01:06am.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:39am
Chain of Fools

Similar experience happened to me about 8 years ago. I had about 7 years under my belt then but had moved to a new region. My first scrimmage with my new group, a LB grabs the TE coming off the line and holds him. I flag it and the WH starts yelling "that's not pass interference" at me. After the play was over, I calmly told him "I know, I've got Holding on the defense".

Sometimes if you are a young and/or inexperienced official, veterans will try to overcompensate for you. Its not usually done intentionally.

Keep working hard, get in the rules and mechanics books. Work every game you can, order some of the supplemental guides out there. Talk plays over with your crewmates at meetings and after the games.

Show your crew that you are proactive and you will gain their trust.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Im not as expeirenced as most but I do agree with what Jim D said. If an official says he saw what he saw, throws the flag, and makes the call then he has done his job. I think having someone come behind you and overrule a call that you made (whether it be an ejection or a simple 5 yard penalty) makes the crew look some what like they do not know what they are doing.
Well you have to be careful about this subject. If I throw a flag then I have no problem with another offcial coming to me and asking what I saw. A key point is that it is done out of earshot of players/coaches. I work NCAA so passes have to be catchable for DPI. I flag a DPI and my fellow official comes to me and asks "Did you see the ball?" That makes me think about whether the pass was catchable. I'm more concerned about getting the call right than whether I look good. We are a crew out there - not just 4, 5, 6 or 7 individuals.

Equally I have no problem asking a question. Last year I worked a game as White Hat. The runner ran toward the sideline, ahead of him a block was made by a pulling guard #67, looked like a good side block. The Line Judge threw in a flag. After the play, he reported that he had a Block in the back by #67. I asked "Are you sure? I saw that block too and it looked like it was Ok and in the side." The Line Judge (who has as many years of experience as me) said "You know what? You're right, it was in the side. Wave it off."

Quote:
The white hat waived it off but little did he know I was not calling a block in the back. I was calling illegal helmet contact due to the player lowering his head and making contact with the runner. (I guess its also known as spearing)
I'm not sure I understand this example you gave - "little did he know?" You went up to the white hat to report what you had right?
I have a strict rule on my crew. You throw a flag, you talk to the White Hat. The only exception is that if there are two flags, the guys are allowed to talk to each other first to make sure that have the same foul, then one of them comes to me to report it. So on my crew your situation could not have happened. If you have a flag, you come talk to me and tell me what you have got.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

All the Referee does is run the administrative parts of the game. I cannot think of anything they run other than this part. When I was the Referee once that game starts, I had to be good at my part of the field or my responsibilities; I never took my job as the leader or being in charge. I took my job as apart of the crew and I was not the crew chief off the field either.

Peace