The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:45pm
Small Business Owner

Post We have the support of the Rules Book

With all due respect Ed I think YOU are missing the point.
The 2009 Rule Book now REQUIRES YOU to start the MANDATORY Warm-up Period immediatley upon completion of the of the scheduled half-time.
It does not state, nor does it suggest, that you have any obigation to wait for either team to arrive. It does state in writing that, by rule, you are REQUIRED to start the clock and flag the coach if his team is no out there. Why? It takes the burden off of you and "opens the door for the bright legal mind to seek some recompense for a failure" of a HEAD COACH to have his team on the field for the mandatory Warm-Up Period as he is required, by rule to do.
It is incumbent upon YOU to follow the rule book! Which by the way, last time I checked is what you are contracted to do.

As for the burgler on the porch scenario. Given a like situation, a suitable solution might just be to drag him in the house and shoot him again!
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
And, even staying home and locking all windows and doors does not fully protect one; what if, a burgular breaks your window and you shoot him before he enters, again, some bright legal mind could sue you saying the burglar never intended to enter your home he just loves to break windows.

If life was fair anyone could live it!
I truly believe the irrational fear of incurring some imaginable liability is causing far more trouble in our society than all the liabilities that actually happen.

As some may well see as a glaring deficiency of our legal system, anyone can sue anybody else about anything they like, logical or illogical, rational or irrational. That doesn't mean they are going to get anywhere with their attempt, but there are no rock solid guarantees, they won't.

We do have a rather simple, straightforward rule to follow and there is little good reason to ignore it, but I don't think we should worry about what somebody might do, in the most extreme series of events.

Even the very best intentions can turn sour when they are taken beyond their purpose.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose there will be some new emphasis on the halftime ready to play and mandatory warm-up. How do you now and how will you react if as the 15/17 minute halftime expires:

1. Team A is clearly seen running to the field.

2. Team A is huddled just outside the fence of the field area.

3. Team A's herd of players are halfway on the field.

4. Team A is waiting for the visiting band to clear the fence opening.

Just wondering.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

It seems the only thing necessary to deal with ALL the possibilities you suggest, is to apply basic common sense and don't allow yourself to become entangled in either team's attempt to create a problem over something so petty it doesn't matter.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

My sentiments exactly, but it bares being brought up for those who automatically would.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 08:16am
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
I suppose there will be some new emphasis on the halftime ready to play and mandatory warm-up. How do you now and how will you react if as the 15/17 minute halftime expires:

1. Team A is clearly seen running to the field.
No foul, since there is no RULEBOOK definition of "Team", 2 players "could" meet the definition.

Quote:
2. Team A is huddled just outside the fence of the field area.
No foul, if I can see the "Team", I do not have a foul.
In this situation, I would likely have one of the crew "shoo" them onto the field. It would also likely warrant a reminder conversation with the head coach. But again, no foul as it is not within the "Spirit of the rule"
Quote:
3. Team A's herd of players are halfway on the field.
No foul, since there is no RULEBOOK definition of "Team", 2 players "could" meet the definition.

Quote:
4. Team A is waiting for the visiting band to clear the fence opening.

Just wondering.
This situation you are questioning is specifically addressed under Rule 3-6-4. If a foulis warranted, it would be Delay of Game, and is charged to the Home Teams Game Managment.

3-6-4...Game managment is responsible for clearing the field of play and the end zones at the beginning of each half so play may begin at the scheduled time. PENALTY - Delay of Game
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

KWH, I like your logic.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 04:39pm
Chain of Fools

Also keep in mind that the rulebook does not define "warm-up". As long as they are out, they can just stand and stare at the moon if that is what the HC wants.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:30pm
Small Business Owner

Also keep in mind the situation, (no matter how tempting it may be), where both teams are out on the field (early) and are all warmed up and ready to go, before the actual halftime expires! You STILL are REQUIRED by rule to have a MANDATORY three minutes warm up period before kicking off.

Reference: Casebook 3.1.1 SITUATION B