The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Warm-up time limits on field for each team

Customarily, for amost NFHS teams here, the home team does not take infield-outfield warmups until the visiting team bus arrives. Then the home team does for about 10 minutes, give or take a couple. Then the visitors take their turn.

Most of the time, there is no problem. But sometimes the visitors' arrival is delayed for a number of reasons, and they don't show up until less than 15 minutes before game time. The home team still waits for the visitors to show up, then the home team takes their 10 minutes on the field. Then the visitors start infield with only a couple of minutes before game time. Some blues have made teams cut this warmup short and start the game very near the original start time. Some blues give teams as much time as needed for a proper warmup. Different blues, different boards, different attitudes. IMO, this problem would be pretty much solved if home teams start their IF/OF warm up no later than 20 minutes before scheduled game time, regardless if the visitors are there or not at that time.

One veteran blue told me that somewhere (we looked in ASA and NFHS 2007 rules books), but we could not find it, maybe it's an old case book - he remembers a rule that states teams each get 8 minutes of "field time" for their warmup. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I asked my assignor, and the only time limit of this type he's ever heard of is for our Connecticut HS tournament games - a 5 minute limit for infield/outfield. But no limit for regular season games.

Anybody know anything more than this?
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Years ago, there were mandated warm up times for all sports. If the Blues try to insist that the teams start by some appointed time without letting the teams get ready, it is their fault for poor game management. As one old Ump who has been doing this for a while, I got no place I have to be but where I'm at till I'm done.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

there should be no restriction on what the home team does in their park prior to a game ... in fact as an umpire I don't know or care what goes on until I step on the field
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm callous, but if the visiting team doesn't arrive on time, that's their problem, not mine. If they want to get their warmups in full, don't waste time in your school's parking lot, get on the bus ASAP, and get to the field as quickly as you can. Game time is my starting time.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Maybe I'm callous, but if the visiting team doesn't arrive on time, that's their problem, not mine. If they want to get their warmups in full, don't waste time in your school's parking lot, get on the bus ASAP, and get to the field as quickly as you can. Game time is my starting time.
I disagree. For HS teams, there are things that are out of their control. Traffic, bomb threats (actually happened to a team in MN this season), bus drivers not knowing how to get where they have to go, etc. My feeling is that until the first pitch is thrown, the SCHEDULED game time is a guideline and the home coach/administrator dictates WHEN game time actually is.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

I know HS's have peculiar little rules, but personally, as an umpire, I couldn't care less what the teams are doing until I step on the field to conduct the pre-game meeting.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I know HS's have peculiar little rules, but personally, as an umpire, I couldn't care less what the teams are doing until I step on the field to conduct the pre-game meeting.

I enjoy these times when Mike is wrong....... give the ladies some warm up time..too many things can happen to delay them that are not within their control.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I enjoy these times when Mike is wrong....... give the ladies some warm up time..too many things can happen to delay them that are not within their control.
Darrell,

"PERSONALLY" can, and in this case does, refer to personal opinion, which means I really cannot be wrong.

It is also my opinion that NFHS and other sanctioning bodies abuse the umpires' presence of authority for administrative responsibilities that should be handled by an AD, site coordinator, tournament director or whomever is responsible for the teams and sanctioning body.

And, yes, I am aware that in other sports at many levels, game officials are saddled with the responsibility of observing all or portions of the teams' warm-up period. That doesn't mean I have to like it or concur with the manner in which officials are directed.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
This topic has nothing to do with administrative duties, observing warmups or HS rules. It is about the game time being delayed becaus the visitor is late or because one team does not get "warmups" done expeditiously. Starting time is not life or death, but delays keep umpires and others from completing the game on time; especially if the umpires have subsequent games or one tema has some kind of curfew. Bus drivers knowing the way is no excuse, the AD or HC is responsible for getting the team there or scheduling the game more appropriately.
The other issue is whether there is value in the home team "warmup" at the last instant or at the scheduled time with some off-field throwing to stay loose.