The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Average retiring age for officials??

You probably know someone who is 80 years old and still the best official ever, but I'm wondering what you think the AVERAGE age is that officials decide that they are just too old to keep up with the demands of the game?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:10am
In Memoriam

The age of Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cakes View Post
You probably know someone who is 80 years old and still the best official ever, but I'm wondering what you think the AVERAGE age is that officials decide that they are just too old to keep up with the demands of the game?
When you wonder if you should retire, just do it.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

65? A guy 60 in good shape can still get around the field. A guy 70 probably can't so somewhere around 65 seems like a good point to think about it and try and get some outside advise.

To all those kiddies out there that think anything over 45 is ancient, a 50 or 60 year old can perform at the same level officiating-wise as a 35 year old. The big difference is how long they can sustain the level of activity (certainly long enough for a football game) and the recovery time needed between games.

Obviously there are tremendous differences between individuals.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
65?
To all those kiddies out there that think anything over 45 is ancient, a 50 or 60 year old can perform at the same level officiating-wise as a 35 year old. The big difference is how long they can sustain the level of activity (certainly long enough for a football game) and the recovery time needed between games.
You might also consider the words of the great philosopher, Yogi Berra, in suggesting some things, baseball or football officiating, "90% mental and the other half physical".

Football has distinctly different levels. Many officials start at the youth league levels, progress up to and through High School competition and some have the flexibility to continue at the Collegiate level and even above. A career as a good football official doesn't have to come to an abrupt end.

Competent officials, whose physical abilities might be waning, can still contribute considerable value to the game revisiting lower levels, where experienced, competent officials who may well be at the top of their mental game are always in great demand. Plus it can still be as much fun as it ever was, at a little slower pace.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
65? A guy 60 in good shape can still get around the field. A guy 70 probably can't so somewhere around 65 seems like a good point to think about it and try and get some outside advise.

Obviously there are tremendous differences between individuals.
If there are tremendous differences among individuals, why think that everyone should "think about" retiring at 65? That will be too old for some and too young for others.

Who cares what the average age is? How would that provide any guidance for anyone making this decision?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If there are tremendous differences among individuals, why think that everyone should "think about" retiring at 65? That will be too old for some and too young for others.

Who cares what the average age is? How would that provide any guidance for anyone making this decision?
I didn't mean it in a bad way - In answer to the original question, I suggested it as good time to take a look at yourself and see where you are. It's a time to make an assessment, not a suggested date to think about retiring.

Some guys leave too early when they have a lot of good years left, and some hang on too long. Even if you feel good now, I think it's probably a good idea to set a target date when you will try and do an honest assessment of where you are and what you should do. As ajmc mentioned, maybe it's moving to a different level or a different role.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 11:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I didn't mean it in a bad way - In answer to the original question, I suggested it as good time to take a look at yourself and see where you are. It's a time to make an assessment, not a suggested date to think about retiring.

Some guys leave too early when they have a lot of good years left, and some hang on too long. Even if you feel good now, I think it's probably a good idea to set a target date when you will try and do an honest assessment of where you are and what you should do. As ajmc mentioned, maybe it's moving to a different level or a different role.
What is your target date, level, role ?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
What is your target date, level, role ?

I'm hitting a milestone age in a few years. At that time I'm going to decide what to do next - whether to continue to officiate and set a new target date for later on, quit cold turkey or maybe become an observer. Obviously the biggest factor will be my health - can I keep up with the play, how are my knees, things like that. And do I still enjoy it. Another factor may be our crew. We are all about the same age (which is not a good thing for a crew), but will we continue as a crew? Maybe if the other guys quit, I may too.

I think the hardest thing will be to make/get an objective opinion on what kind of job I'm doing. I suspect it would be very easy to kid myself.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I've heard that once you start thinking about retiring you've already made the decision.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

When to give it up is more a matter of the physical and the mental than the chronological.

It oftens puzzles me how officials a fraction of my age who look like they are taking a day off from their duties at Pillsbury or the officials whose knowledge of the rules is based upon faith because the rule book is merely a bother or both continue to get on the field.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

I think it is always better to retire two years too early rather than one year too late.

I selected my own date and was satisfied with that.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Two years ago I thought that next year might be my last. I will know by how I feel at that time. I am the R on our crew and running is ok but I am not as fast as I used to be. I am still learning about the game and want to get better every year. I may inquire about crews needing a U in the next several years. I am playing it year to year and no date is set.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:39pm
Chain of Fools

The SEC has a mandatory retirement age of 60 for field officials. One of our WH's was an SEC umpire and got hit with the mandatory retirement. He's now doing 1-AA CFB on Saturdays. He's probably in better shape than most of our 35-45 year olds.

I'll be 46 this season. I'd like to think I can get 9-10 more years in but its hard to say out on the wing. Last spring and summer I made a much better effort of conditioning and it paid off. I felt the best I have in a long time.

My wheels may not make it that long, however. I've never been blessed with speed and those Saturday mornings where I can barely walk first thing are hit and miss these days.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I've heard that once you start thinking about retiring you've already made the decision.
I think Brett Favre missed that memo!
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

In my association:

Retirement age = death + 1 year