The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I don't know about Mass., but Texas HS has not adopted the 40/25 clock rule. We use the 2005 timing rules and probably will indefinitely. However, our wings typically raise a hand to eye or possibly top of the head level (as opposed to straight up like a basketball official signaling a violation) with the next down. I'm not sure its an actual mechanic, but its something we've done for a while.
The rest of the country has not adopted those rules, because the rest of the country does not use NCAA rules.

I also do not see the NF adopt such a rule unless the play clock on the field becomes a common thing. Unless something changes in the country financially, there will be no such rule in the NF level.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 06:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
Once everything has settled down, and the teams are on their side of the LOS, I will most definitely turn my back to the field to ensure the chain crew is properly positioned. The R, U, and BJ can keep things under control while the teams are huddled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZebra View Post
Again, not trying to be an a-hole, but you really should not turn your back to the field. If you're concerned about your chains, a little turn of the head (and an effective pre-game) can solve that. It's really pretty simple.
Not that my Rome has much of an influence on areas outside of my province, but I tend to agree: I don't believe in turning my back away from the players. I know that I've done it if I came in a lot for the spot, as a side guy, and the I might be in a hurry-up all of a sudden. (Cdn fields are 12 yards wider - so we have more room to cover to get back.)
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 06:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
This is funny because at one time (before the current rules re the play clock) it was only in H.S. games (some Fed, some not) that I saw such a signal routinely given. I'm sure it's appreciated by deaf players. It's the oldest signal in football.

What happened to the live ball possession signal? Used to be that when the ball was turned over during a down, and at other times when there might be confusion over possession, officials would immediately point toward the attacking end line. Of course that was at a time when there was a big difference between what the offense and defense could do with their hands. It was distinguished from a "new series" signal by its absence of the opposite hand pointing straight up with 1 finger.

Robert in the Bronx
You would LOVE doing a game here in Canada. Many guys still do the stiff-arm COP mechanic.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
We use the raised hand to indicate "I have a progress spot." It is hard for the end men to see each other through the pile, but you can see the raised hand. If they both have it up, one defers to the other so we do not have two different spots.

Edited to add:
The only time we indicate the down over our heads is if the ball came loose and the offense recovered.

As to your question on transition, I would drop my hand as, or before, I turned. As I was going to the sideline, I would give the down at eye level, not over my head. Personally, I would look goofy jogging toward the sideline with my hand over my head.
Instead of indicating the spot, why not just verbalize it. This works especially well to sell the call when close to the line to gain.

Our association is ok with turning if the wing is all the way to the hash. It's ok to turn and jog back instead of backpeddling that far. It's not neccessarily reccomended, but it is accepted.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I tell all sideline personnel never to turn their backs to the field while the game is on, but to backpedal with hands out front to protect themselves if play comes toward them.

Robert in the Bronx
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I tell all sideline personnel never to turn their backs to the field while the game is on, but to backpedal with hands out front to protect themselves if play comes toward them.

Robert in the Bronx
Huh?
Protect themselves from what? I don't understand.
They should be backpedaling to the sideline after the ball is spotted, arriving about, or shortly after, the RFP.
Backpedaling with your hands out in front of yourself would be a pretty unnatural motion that would seem awkward at best.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Huh?
Protect themselves from what? I don't understand.
They should be backpedaling to the sideline after the ball is spotted, arriving about, or shortly after, the RFP.
Backpedaling with your hands out in front of yourself would be a pretty unnatural motion that would seem awkward at best.
"sideline personnel" != officials