The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
As of earlier this year 97.64% of the downs in NFL games this season were officiated correctly. There are 7 officials on the field, on average one of them makes a mistake every 42.4 downs. In some games the entire crew is graded out at 100%.
You don't expect this chap's opinion to respond to facts, do you? Axe grinding never does.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
What does it matter if it was a hit on a QB or not? They routinely penalize contact against QBs that is VERY minor, but let this stuff go?

I knew this thread would get a rise out of the "Must defend NFL referees at all costs" crowd.

Football officials are clueless.

Edit: For the record, I'm not a fan of either of these teams. I just think NFL officiating is probably the worst of any major sport.
It matters because of something called the "RULES". Officials can only flag things that are against the RULES, not just because something went bad for your team.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Football officials are clueless.

Edit: For the record, I'm not a fan of either of these teams. I just think NFL officiating is probably the worst of any major sport.
This made it easy to judge you. NFL officials are the closest to perfection that exist in the officiating world. I could see if someone would say this about NBA officials due to the nature of the sport.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

If you talk to NFL officials, they will mention that the players they are officiating are very very quick/fast. They are required to make judgments about situations that occur a lot faster than what we we see with HS kids and college kids. The major difference in any sport as you move up levels is speed/quickness. We have 300 lb. linemen at the HS level but they are not nearly as athletic as NFL guys.

I think fanboy should attempt to be out on the field with 22 of these guys moving at the same time.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Objectivity blurred.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well QBs are treated differently in the NFL. That is just the way it is. And to say the McGahee hit was "clearly" helmet to helmet is a bit of an overstatement. The Steeler player turned his head and shoulder away from the McGahee. If the players got up, you would not have thought a single thing about the hit. And CBS had to show two different angles before it was clear that player touched helmets illegally in any way.

Peace
Obviously, the comments here, including yours, are posted by Steeler and Ravens fans. Let me clear things up for you. Watch the replay in slow motion. You will see McGahee clearly being hit on the side of his helmet with the crown of Clarks helmet. There are specific rules regarding this which I'll post:

13. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.

14. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.

These rules are specifically aimed at defensive players, not the offense. I'm not saying the outcome of the game would have been different(most likely not)but it would be nice to see the officials make appropriate calls on relatively obvious plays such as this. This may be too much to ask considering they somehow ruled against the Steelers in the first half on whether or not there was a completion/TD by Holmes. After review, I thought the only question would be if he actually got into the endzone yet the officiating braintrust somehow ruled an incomplete pass?????
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

you may want to check those rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
It matters because of something called the "RULES". Officials can only flag things that are against the RULES, not just because something went bad for your team.

These are two rules infractions resulting in a 15 yard penatly. The replay clearly shows Clark leads with the crown of his helmet, not his shoulder as some here would like to believe, striking MaGahee between the front and side of his helmet. Those two rules apply to defensive players for those of you wondering why runningbacks/recievers can lead with their helmet and defenders can't.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

closest to perfection???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post
This made it easy to judge you. NFL officials are the closest to perfection that exist in the officiating world. I could see if someone would say this about NBA officials due to the nature of the sport.
How is it these perfect officials continue to screw up. I actually wanted to see the Steelers lose if given a choice, with that said, how did the replay officials come up with the reversal of Holmes catch on the goal line in the first half?? If it were ruled incomplete on the field, the replay showed he clearly caught it. The only question was, whether or not he got into the enzone with it(debatable). Calls like this happen in every game, week in, week out. In the earlier game yesterday, they blew several calls. Roughing the punter comes to mind for one, when the replay showed the punter actually makes the contact by collapsing on top of the defender as if he were shot in the head. Please dont try and defend the officiating in this league. It's borderline criminal. Maybe you should look into the difference in revenue the league generates when small vs. large market teams are in the superbowl. Money corrupts. If you dont believe that then your head it buried deep in the sand.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarz1 View Post

These are two rules infractions resulting in a 15 yard penatly. The replay clearly shows Clark leads with the crown of his helmet, not his shoulder as some here would like to believe, striking MaGahee between the front and side of his helmet. Those two rules apply to defensive players for those of you wondering why runningbacks/recievers can lead with their helmet and defenders can't.
Two posts and you know of JR's objectivity? LOL.

Directly to your point, read the rule you quoted above and explain how the phrase "any player" applies only to defenders.

Specifically about the play in question - the tackler lead with his shoulder. The fact that there was helmet to helmet contact does not necessarily mean there was a foul. Not all helmet contact is unavoidable. Which, by the way, is why players wear helmets.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Aren't there fan sites where you guys can go and blame someone for your loss?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Two posts and you know of JR's objectivity? LOL.

Directly to your point, read the rule you quoted above and explain how the phrase "any player" applies only to defenders.

Specifically about the play in question - the tackler lead with his shoulder. The fact that there was helmet to helmet contact does not necessarily mean there was a foul. Not all helmet contact is unavoidable. Which, by the way, is why players wear helmets.
because this specific rules applies to tackling maybe??? last time i checked, the defense was responsible for that. As I posted earlier, watch the replay then come back and tell me the defender does not lead with the crown of his helmet and makes contact with his helmet before his shoulder. FYI, the objectivity comment relates to all the Raven/Steeler fans here, not just JR's.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:24am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I think fanboy should attempt to be out on the field with 22 of these guys moving at the same time.
I second that...as long as he's wearing pads and standing in the neutral zone
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:25am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
because this specific rules applies to tackling maybe??? last time i checked, the defense was responsible for that. As I posted earlier, watch the replay then come back and tell me the defender does not lead with the crown of his helmet and makes contact with his helmet before his shoulder. FYI, the objectivity comment relates to all the Raven/Steeler fans here, not just JR's.
Hmmmm...so what do you call it when the kickoff or punt coverage team brings down the ball carrier? What do you call it when the offense has to stop the thief who intercepted the QB's errant throw?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

References please?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Hmmmm...so what do you call it when the kickoff or punt coverage team brings down the ball carrier? What do you call it when the offense has to stop the thief who intercepted the QB's errant throw?
Since you are trying to split hairs, in NFL rules the teams in possession is the offense and their opponents are the defense so in your two examples it is the defense who is bringing down the ball carrier and stopping the thief.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Your joking right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post

ummm, are kickoff or punt coverage teams considered to be playing offense or defense? Once a ball is intercepted, is the team that was just intercepted still playing offense???? Is this concept beyond your mental capabilities??? Comments from refs like yourself kind of prove my point that the game is well beyond your mental abilities and it is time for leagues to allow a bit more technology into the games to assist the poor state of officiating.