The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
BC vs. Vandy muffed punt

ncaa rules. did the refs get the call right on the muffed punt that went into the endzone and recovered by vandy for a touchdown? i know in fed rules it would be a touchback.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 05:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

All I can say is the NCAA Rules are different. Based on what I have read I strongly believe officials got this one right.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the sketchy replay on espn.com. All it looked like was that the returner muffed the punt and it went into the end zone and the punt team recovered. Is that correct? If so, TD. I don't understand how that could be controversial. P can't ADVANCE the ball, but they can recover it and its dead where they recover.

What is the fed rule that makes this different?
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I saw the sketchy replay on espn.com. All it looked like was that the returner muffed the punt and it went into the end zone and the punt team recovered. Is that correct? If so, TD. I don't understand how that could be controversial. P can't ADVANCE the ball, but they can recover it and its dead where they recover.

What is the fed rule that makes this different?
NFHS:
The status of the ball after the muff is still a kick and once it breaks the plane of the GL it is dead and a touchback.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 06:51pm
Chain of Fools

NF Fundamental IV.

5. Any kick which is not a scoring attempt becomes dead when it breaks the plane of R’s goal line.

and Rule (definitions) 2-13-
ART. 4 . . . Force is not a factor:
a. On kicks going into R’s end zone, since these kicks are always a touchback
regardless of who supplied the force.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I was having this argument with a buddy. I was saying that the force which put the ball in the end zone was the kick and so it should be a touchback.(in NF) I was not aware of a difference with the NCAA rule.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I was having this argument with a buddy. I was saying that the force which put the ball in the end zone was the kick and so it should be a touchback.(in NF) I was not aware of a difference with the NCAA rule.
NCAA: it would be an automatic touch-back if it was untouched by a team-B player in the field of play.

Anytime a team-B player touches the scrimmage kick and subsequently muffs the ball either into or in the end zone, any team-B player must recover the ball before it becomes a touchback. Should a team-A player recover the ball, it becomes a touchdown.

Yes, this is a significant difference between NF and NCAA rules as it pertains to scrimmage kicks into the team-B endzone.
Just one of the over 200 plus categories of differences.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
NCAA: it would be an automatic touch-back if it was untouched by a team-B player in the field of play.

Anytime a team-B player touches the scrimmage kick and subsequently muffs the ball either into or in the end zone, any team-B player must recover the ball before it becomes a touchback. Should a team-A player recover the ball, it becomes a touchdown.

Yes, this is a significant difference between NF and NCAA rules as it pertains to scrimmage kicks into the team-B endzone.
Just one of the over 200 plus categories of differences.
Is it also true that on a free kick that hasn't touched the ground, it can be returned out of the EZ in NCAA?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, its true.

Frankly, the Fed rule here is bizarre.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

Frankly, the Fed rule here is bizarre.
It is actually pretty simple and makes enforcement simple. A legal kick always retains its status as a kick until it ends (such as the ball being recovered or becoming dead). This leads to the axiom "A kick is a kick until it is no longer a kick."

In Fed, a kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is ALWAYS a touchback. You don't need to worry about a new impetus being imparted on the ball, or situations regarding when the receiving team may and may not advance the ball out of the endzone. It is all a moot point in Fed.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Is it also true that on a free kick that hasn't touched the ground, it can be returned out of the EZ in NCAA?
Correct..
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
REPLY: And on scrimmage kicks as well. And notice that on free kicks caught in the end zone, the R doesn't start the clock until the runner crosses the goal line coming out.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Fed, a kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is ALWAYS a touchback.
So a punter, K1, standing at his own 3 gets his punt blocked by R1 and the ball goes backwards into the end zone, it is a touchback?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 05:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
So a punter, K1, standing at his own 3 gets his punt blocked by R1 and the ball goes backwards into the end zone, it is a touchback?
No, of course not. Your example is a kick that goes into K's endzone. If the ball becomes dead in the endzone it will either be a touchdown or a safety.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You answered your own question. K1 is standing in K's end zone, not R's end zone.

In the International Bowl, there have been two more kicks that were muffed into the end zone, by UConn. On the punt, Buffalo was able to recover for a TD. On the kickoff, the UConn player recovered and ran it out of the EZ where he fumbled inside the 5.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith