The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys

Some friends and I were wondering what the philosophy is behind the fact that you cannot advance a muffed punt...? Why is it that you're allowed to take possession but not advance?

Thanks,
Eric
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules

You have to understand the difference between a muff and a fumble. A player must have possession before he can fumble. Possession is precluded by touching, and by touching the ball without gaining possession it is a muff.

A kick is a kick, is a kick, is a kick, until R gains possession. Once possession is gained, then, at that instant, the kick play is over. Now it is a running play.

If R muffs the kick, they never had possession to begin with. If R catches the kick, and then fumbles, anyone can gain possession and advance.

NFHS rule specifically state that K can advance a ball from in or behiond the NZ, because the ball still belongs to them. Once the ball crosses the NZ the ball belongs to R.
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

cheifgil, I think he understands the rule. I believe he wants an explanation as to why we have that rule, the philosophy behind it. A question for which I don't have an answer.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

I'm trying to understand why the kicking team can gain possession yet not advance it. It would seem like the two options would be 1) possess/advance or 2) no possession at all.

Why did they create a rule to stop advancement by a team with possession of the ball?

Thanks,
Eric
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by EricSeattle
I'm trying to understand why the kicking team can gain possession yet not advance it. It would seem like the two options would be 1) possess/advance or 2) no possession at all.

Why did they create a rule to stop advancement by a team with possession of the ball?

Thanks,
Eric
Because at the high school level, unsafe things happen on kicks and adding the ability to advance by the kicking team just adds to the confusion and potential for injuries. (That is just my hypothesis.)
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesBond
Because at the high school level, unsafe things happen on kicks and adding the ability to advance by the kicking team just adds to the confusion and potential for injuries. (That is just my hypothesis.)
If I am not mistaken, it is a rule at the other major levels (NCAA, NFL) that K cannot advance a muffed punt downfield (although your hypothesis does hold some water).
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

double post, sorry.

[Edited by JamesBond on Oct 18th, 2004 at 09:22 AM]
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

History

I would really like to read a book of the development of the game and it's rules...
I was thinking maybe this rule about not being allowed to advance a muffed punt could come from rugby, and there is something similar.

I was checking the web, and if I understood the 'Law' correctly, when a player tries to catch a kick, and muffs it forward, the play is stopped and a scrum is awarded (no one gains an advantage)

Now that is just from my very limited knowledge and 5 minutes of research on the web. Maybe someone here is a rugby ref and can correct me...

James
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesBond
Quote:
Originally posted by EricSeattle

That rule applies at all levels up to the NFL, you can advance a fumble but you cannot advance a muff.

My thought is because possession does not change -- the kicking team retains possession, that is, ignoring PSK exception -- and a recovery is an advance by the kicking team ending the down.