The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Thumbs up Mike Carey Video

Not sure if this has been brought up before or not, but thought I would share. I don't have the NFL network but usually watch the "official review" online each week, which is a plethora of good info. I just did a quick search and found a 4 part series on Mike Carey giving a nice look at his life, career, and very indepth look at his work during the superbowl, I'll post the link, then just use the find button on the bottom right, then search "Who is Mike Carey"

http://www.nfl.com/videos
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

The NFL told Hochuli to stop responding to emails about his call in the SD game, yet they profile another official and not really about his work on the field. To me, their making inconsistent statements.

This whole piece was politically driven. The NFL needs to stick with football and leave politics to others.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:38am
Chain of Fools

Here are better links-

NFL Video Galleries
NFL Video Galleries
NFL Video Galleries
NFL Video Galleries

Portions of those segments were shown before last year's Super Bowl. I recorded it but missed the first minute or so. Now if I can figure out how to save these SWF files and burn to DVD on my computer. Anybody know a good converter program?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
The NFL told Hochuli to stop responding to emails about his call in the SD game, yet they profile another official and not really about his work on the field. To me, their making inconsistent statements.
I'm not sure I see the dichotomy.

Quote:
This whole piece was politically driven.
Meaning what?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post

This whole piece was politically driven. The NFL needs to stick with football and leave politics to others.
This was released in Febuary of last year, as a part of Black history month focus, so I don't think the Hoculi incident is of note at all. I think the NFL followed the referee of a Super Bowl around to see the preparation and execution of a well officiated, and great to watch, super bowl.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the links. I will watch them tomorrow when I have the time. I like to model my signalling after Mike, he's one of the best out there.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

his signals make you go.... Who's it going to be on? He is making no preliminary indication. Then... BAM! Your A$$ just got penalized!

And did anyone else catch in the video that Mike Carey is 58!! Holy cow, I mean really, I would of guessed 35 at most.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

I have seen this before as well when it was run originally. I honestly do not see the big deal, they followed Hochuli several years ago in what they called "7 Days to Sunday." Usually they featured teams getting ready for a game, this time they featured Hochuli in that piece.

This show called "Who is Mike Carey" was apart of an interview that NFL Network did about a week or so after the Super Bowl. There is a big difference by interviewing people and Hochuli taking questions about his calls. I think you cannot compare the two at all. And I think it is cool to feature their officials from time to time to make them look human and just like everyone else. NFL Films did the same thing for Hochuli, why not Carey or any other official in the NFL?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

When I see Mike point in the direction of the offending team, I hope that no one is standing next to him so they don't get cut down by his karate chop!

He's a breath of fresh air in white-hatting.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 03:17pm
Chain of Fools

Fox sports followed an SEC crew

several years ago for an hour long special. I think it was called Behind the Stripes or something like that. The game was in Knoxville and showed the game prep and post-game meeting back at a nearby hotel too.

I've tried to find it on tape or online but can't seem to locate it. Wished I ahd taped it back then. Its probably been 6-7 years ago now. It was very interesting.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Name of Show - 6 Days To Sunday - Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have seen this before as well when it was run originally. I honestly do not see the big deal, they followed Hochuli several years ago in what they called "7 Days to Sunday." Usually they featured teams getting ready for a game, this time they featured Hochuli in that piece.

This show called "Who is Mike Carey" was apart of an interview that NFL Network did about a week or so after the Super Bowl. There is a big difference by interviewing people and Hochuli taking questions about his calls. I think you cannot compare the two at all. And I think it is cool to feature their officials from time to time to make them look human and just like everyone else. NFL Films did the same thing for Hochuli, why not Carey or any other official in the NFL?

Peace

Hi JRutledge,

The Show is called 6 Days To Sunday - The Featured Ed Hochuli in late 2006.

^ "Six Days to Sunday with Ed Hochuli" (RealPlayer). NFL Network (2005). Retrieved on 2007-10-18.

If you are not able to view it here. Go to Ed Hochuli's NFL85.com, click on message board, go to video/photo/article section click on 2nd page & about 3/4's of the way down you have Part 1 & Part 2 to view. You must have real player to view it. Nice video about Ed Hochuli. I am still trying to find the whole 30 minutes of the tape.

Becky
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, Carey is the best referee in the game.

I had the pleasure to meet Mike and his crew back in 2002.
I was fortunate to stay in the same hotel as the crew prior to the Cincinnati @ Buffalo regular season finale. I struck up a conversation with them as we ate breakfast at adjacent tables at the hotel on the morning of the game.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportingbecky View Post
hi jrutledge,

the show is called 6 days to sunday - the featured ed hochuli in late 2006.

^ "six days to sunday with ed hochuli" (realplayer). Nfl network (2005). Retrieved on 2007-10-18.

If you are not able to view it here. Go to ed hochuli's nfl85.com, click on message board, go to video/photo/article section click on 2nd page & about 3/4's of the way down you have part 1 & part 2 to view. You must have real player to view it. Nice video about ed hochuli. I am still trying to find the whole 30 minutes of the tape.

Becky
becky!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was released in Febuary of last year, as a part of Black history month
Proves my point. What exactly does BHM have to do with the NFL?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a big difference by interviewing people and Hochuli taking questions about his calls.
There's absolutely no difference. Its all PR. The NFL either wants its officials in the spotlight, or it doesn't. If this show had chronicled the CREW, or, say, several Referees, then that might be a little different. Something behind the scenes that give fans a look into what officials do isn't PR based -- its information based.