The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
I looked at it and said, "Okay, yeah, that makes sense." I didn't know there was no warning anymore. Kudos to Danielson for knowing. (And I went to Florida.)

They did miss about four face mask calls, though.
Don't remember the plays you're referring to, but you do realize they eliminated the 5 yard facemask in college, right? A simple grasp and release is not a foul any longer.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I know. I was talking about the guy's head turning. One was on a kickoff return, IIRC. I'd have to check the tape.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
In this case it was 4 coaches on the field.
I did not get to see the game, but was told there was a problem with the play clock starting early on the play. Were the coaches trying to either get the officials' attention to point out the problem or get the players' attention to get them to hurry up? I guess my question is, had they been out there all game or were they out there in this situation because of a play clock problem?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

There was A situation with the play clock, but I don't recall if it was on that play or not.

I believe the coaches came out onto the field after a score or a first down or other big play. Hey, it's been like three days, I can't remember this stuff.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Prediction - there will be a rule change next season that essentially validates what was done this year as correct, even though, by current rule, it is not. Texas put the word out prior to the season beginning that the sideline rule could be handled as a dead ball foul (even though rule says it is not) The fact it is also penalized as a dead ball foul will make it even easier to justify just changing the rule wording a little bit.

Video of the call:

YouTube - Sideline Interference

From Florida Gators Country Football Meyer relieved when BCS picks Gators

Meyer picked up the first penalty of his coaching career Saturday night against Alabama in the fourth quarter. With the Gators leading 24-20 and the ball an inch away from the Alabama goal, Florida was flagged for sideline interference by side judge Chris Conley. From second and goal an inch away, the ball was moved back five yards and it could have contributed to a different final outcome if Tim Tebow hadn’t connected with Riley Cooper for a touchdown pass on third down and goal.

“That was wrong,” said Meyer, who voiced his displeasure with the call in his post game remarks. “I need an answer for that one.”

Meyer explained what was going on when he got called for the penalty.

“What happened was one of their players kicked the ball,” said Meyer. “One of their players ran through our formation --- they had 12 people on the field --- and the guy kicked the ball and the official stops the clock and the referee --- I thought he did a great job throughout the game just handling the game --- resets the clock and they stop the game. Phil Trautwein and our offense, they start walking toward me. They thought it was a time out. As they’re resetting the clock so we have a time issue. I’m 35 yards away and the ball is on the one inch line or foot line going in. I’m saying, ‘Get back in there! Get back in there!’ I start walking back and someone says there’s a flag and I thought delay of game. I said delay of game? And that’s what the call was.

“Major implications in that game. Four point lead and 35 yards away from what’s going on. … I’m on the 30 yard line and that ball is on the one-foot line. There was a mechanical procedural, resetting the clock and with a noisy stadium they couldn’t hear.”

Meyer implied that he is taking the penalty up with the SEC office, saying, “We’re addressing it.”