The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Your league would have clock problems if you did follow NCAA 2008 rules because there isn't a RFP on every down. Now that the 40/25 play clock in in use, an actual RFP signal is used far, far less then in 2007.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your league would have clock problems if you did follow NCAA 2008 rules because there isn't a RFP on every down. Now that the 40/25 play clock in in use, an actual RFP signal is used far, far less then in 2007.
This has to do with the officials and how they officiate the games (can they follow the rules - how are the rules interpreted). The officials used are directed under the guidelines of the UIL rules (which incorporate the NCAA rules.) If they don't give proper signals, the clock timing can be affected, which can make a difference in the outcome of games. An example was a recent game with scoring from both teams within the last 10 seconds of the game. Clock errors could have easily prevented the final score to win the game.

For those who don't know, UIL (University Interscholastic League) was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1909 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. They provide football rules for state public schools in Texas. Our little league incorporates the UIL and NCAA rules.

As stated before, the UIL rules for timing uses the 2005 NCAA rules instead of the 2008 rules (I expect to keep away from the more complicated 40/25 play clock). It's still NCAA rules (whether they are superseded or not). There must have been some intention of writing the rules the way they are written. Just checking if anyone might know how they are to be interpreted (without having to conference with the refs before each game).
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Under UIL in Texas, if the game clock and the play clock are to both start at the same time, then the only signal we are to give is the "winding" signal and both the play clock and game clock will start on that signal.
This is what I do. I give either the chop or the wind, but never both.

I never give the wind on the snap, which I see some R's do. I think it's unnecessary.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFLDad View Post
This has to do with the officials and how they officiate the games (can they follow the rules - how are the rules interpreted). The officials used are directed under the guidelines of the UIL rules (which incorporate the NCAA rules.) If they don't give proper signals, the clock timing can be affected, which can make a difference in the outcome of games. An example was a recent game with scoring from both teams within the last 10 seconds of the game. Clock errors could have easily prevented the final score to win the game.

For those who don't know, UIL (University Interscholastic League) was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1909 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. They provide football rules for state public schools in Texas. Our little league incorporates the UIL and NCAA rules.

As stated before, the UIL rules for timing uses the 2005 NCAA rules instead of the 2008 rules (I expect to keep away from the more complicated 40/25 play clock). It's still NCAA rules (whether they are superseded or not). There must have been some intention of writing the rules the way they are written. Just checking if anyone might know how they are to be interpreted (without having to conference with the refs before each game).
If the officials don't signal the clock to start when it is supposed to then go with starting it on the snap. It's never a good thing for the clock operators to take it upon themselves to start or stop the clock even if they may be right. It's the officials job to "run" the clock, the operator is there just to push the button when directed to. As far as the conference. The clock operators are supposed to meet with the officials before the game.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This is what I do. I give either the chop or the wind, but never both.

I never give the wind on the snap, which I see some R's do. I think it's unnecessary.

I agree.