The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Question for the football guys:

Under NFHS rules, is it allowable for the coach of a team that is getting beat badly to request that the officials keep the game clock running in the second half?

There was a story in this morning's paper indicating that this has happened in a few games recently. We do have a 42 point mercy rule in the lower classifications, but not the higher classifications where these games happened.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

In MN it is permissable to have "running time" if both coaches agree to it. I have seen this on occasion at the varsity level, and more often at the under-varsity level. I personally would recommend it as it lessens the humiliation factor for the team on the losing end, but thats just my two cents worth.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

it is legal for the coaches of both teams and referee to shorten any period if both coaches agree...so in essence it is legal to request a running clock..even if the state has no mercy rule..
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

40 Point rule

We have a 40 point rule that only applies in the second half. When a score gets 40 points are higher, it cannot come back to the original rules no matter what the score becomes. The clock only stops for scores and team timeouts. Official timeouts do not apply unless you have an injury timeout.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

In OH there can be no running clock even if both parties agree. The only thing that is authorized(only if agreed by both coaches) is the shortening of quarters. Doesn't make sense, but that is the rule.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

In ND, 30 pt margin or more in 2nd half: Clock continues to run on out of bounds, incomplete pass, during the try. This doesn't really help a lot. We do games in MN too and I have never seen a mercy rule applied there.

ND used to have 45 pt rule where the game stops at 45 in the 2nd half. We had one game where the game was over at the half which was sad because it was homecoming. I like the 30 pt rule better. It allows both teams to continue to play and lets the subs get in the game.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Now I should not publicize this...but had a sixty point game, 61-0, and the winning coach wanted the clock to run regulation time. My crew works very fast; however, whenever his team got the ball it seemed like our hands just got kinda wobbly. For some reason it took forever to spot the ball with his team on offense and my umpire was always finding dirt on the ball and taking his towel to clean it off. All this was happening while the clock was running.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind (and its good to inform the coach of this) that the team that is scored on, get to decide if they would like to kick off or recieve the following free kick (I don't have my federation book handy of I'd cite the rule). Therefore, a coach that is in a blow out can show some sportsmanship and just keep his D on the field to avoid the appearence of running up the score.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Ed,
It is amazing how dirty a ball gets in a blowout isn't it..and just how hard they become to handle...it is amazing that a little sportsmanship by a coach in a game like this makes the ball so much cleaner and easier to handle..I see no reason not to "publish" this, most everyone has been a part of it and it is good to know we are not alone LOL
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: In NJ, there is no published 'mercy rule' although we do whatever we can to speed up the game when both coaches agree. Sure came in handy this weekend. Two games -- total score 105-0! Second game was 50-0 at the half.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

It's also amazing how inaccurate I get at the wing throwing the ball back into the WH, or how clumsy I get at WH in situations like this. Amazing how many of those near-OOB plays end up being forward progress and in bounds as well.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

just FYI, in PA we keep it running after a 35 point differential. There are a few times when the clock does stop, but for PA 35 points is the magic number.

Sloth is also Right...SEE 8-3-9 in rules book. After a try, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off. NOW it makes sense.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

in Florida---
"If one team is ahead by a margin of 30 points or more at the end of the 2nd quarter, the head coach of the team that is behind may request of the referee a running clock. The clock shall run continuously during the 3rd and 4th quarters with the exception of during any timeout taken by a team or officials, or when the differential in the score becomes less than 30 points."
In my opinion, this is a decent rule. A lot of what happens in a "blow-out" game hangs on the level of sportsmanship by the coaches and players; with or without a mercy rule !
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

SWFL is right. Sportsmanship is the key. I did a game last week in which the coach of the team ahead 46-8 used 3 timeouts in the last minute in order to score again. He had his subs in but he could have had them in in the 3rd quarter. Thankfully, he didn't score.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
SWFL is right. Sportsmanship is the key. I did a game last week in which the coach of the team ahead 46-8 used 3 timeouts in the last minute in order to score again. He had his subs in but he could have had them in in the 3rd quarter. Thankfully, he didn't score.
REPLY: Our opening game last year, the home team is up 46-0 in the third quarter. Both teams have their JVs playing. The losing team methodologically marches it downfield and is now at B's 15 with a real chance to score. Home team coach sends his starters back in to keep the opponent's JV team from scoring. And they wonder why fights break out in these type of games. I know...the officials didn't control the game!