The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle -Ball placement on punts

Got a question and cannot find my book- believe I left them in a crew members car.
>
1-K punts the ball from their own 20. The ball hits the ground where it is touch first by K at R's 40 yard line. The ball continue rolling to the 35 when R jumps on the ball but just muffs it- and ball is still rolling. The Back Judge then blows his whistle while the ball is loose.
What can now happen with the placement of the ball.

2-Same situation -but during the kick K or R fouls before the inadvertent whistle.

Federation Rule please.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
Got a question and cannot find my book- believe I left them in a crew members car.
>
1-K punts the ball from their own 20. The ball hits the ground where it is touch first by K at R's 40 yard line. The ball continue rolling to the 35 when R jumps on the ball but just muffs it- and ball is still rolling. The Back Judge then blows his whistle while the ball is loose.
What can now happen with the placement of the ball.

2-Same situation -but during the kick K or R fouls before the inadvertent whistle.

Federation Rule please.
1- Replay from PS, first touching does take precedence over IW - BJ buys the beer.

2K - PS foul, replay

2R - This will most likely be a PSK enforcement depending on where the foul occurred. The end of the kick is the spot of the ball at the time of the IW sounded. (4.2.3E)
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

KFo9494

I would answer your question as follows

1 - Replay down from Previous spot. There are no other options.

2 - Enforcement of a foul by either K and R will be enforced from the previous spot. Post scrimmage enforcement does not apply because Team R is not in possession at the end of the down.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwbam View Post
KFo9494

I would answer your question as follows

1 - Replay down from Previous spot. There are no other options.

2 - Enforcement of a foul by either K and R will be enforced from the previous spot. Post scrimmage enforcement does not apply because Team R is not in possession at the end of the down.
Prior to PSK, administration of IW and a foul during the kick were the same - from the PS. Since PSK, there has been a conflict with the two but the case play was never changed until this year. Penalty administration (when accepted) takes precedence over IW administration, therefore the IW only ended the down and thus the kick at the same spot.

Obviously, the OP didn't provide enoungh information about R's foul, but suppose a kick beyond the NZ which ends without player possession and the foul by R was beyond the NZ before the end of the kick. Sounds like PSK to me.