The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Had a friend call me last night, who does both H.S. and college ball, to ask me a rules question regarding a situation he had in a college game. He also asked if I could pose the question "on that forum you go to" to verify the answer.

So here goes:

3-person crew...Team A had control of the ball, but player A1 lost the ball and a mad scramble insued for the ball. Coach A requested a TO and U1 blew his whistle to grant the TO while the ball was in no players control. The R came in and said the crew could not grant the TO because the ball was not in control of anyone. Therefore, the R said U1 had an inadvertent whistle and would go to the possesion arrow since the POI was a loose ball.

My friend, who was U2, said he didn't think this was right. He thought that since the whistle was blown to grant the TO...the crew just had to "eat it" and give the TO to Team A. He wants to know what the correct procedure is for this...again NCAA rules.

NFHS Case play 5.8.3 Sit E covers an official erroneously granting a TO. RULING: The team is entitled to use the TO since it was granted.

But, what about when you have an official running in and saying the whistle was inadvertent...such as was the case in the above college scenario?

Richland, WA
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Inadvertant whistle. Put the ball in play at the POI, which is a throw-in to the team that had team control.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

But now that there is a dead ball due to the inadvertant whistle, can't either team call TO at this point? NFHS can, is NCAA different?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
But now that there is a dead ball due to the inadvertant whistle, can't either team call TO at this point? NFHS can, is NCAA different?
I'm no authority, but I'm pretty sure NCAA is different here.
My question is, do you give A the ball due to team control, or does there have to be player control to avoid AP?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Inadvertant whistle. Put the ball in play at the POI, which is a throw-in to the team that had team control.
Thanks Chuck,
But, what if U1 had already granted Coach A a TO. Would you, as R, come in and "overrule" your partner's granting of a TO with your "inadvertent whistle" explanation...in a NFHS game?

Just asking these questions to see if a crew could "sell" either of the rulings we have listed here.

By NFHS rule, it looks as though a crew would have to "eat" the call...it was an official's mistake, so the crew lives with it.

Richland, WA
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
what if U1 had already granted Coach A a TO. Would you, as R, come in and "overrule" your partner's granting of a TO with your "inadvertent whistle" explanation...in a NFHS game?
No. In a HS game, we have to grant the TO. We still will resume at the POI, however, which is a throw-in for the team that had team control.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
I'm no authority, but I'm pretty sure NCAA is different here.
My question is, do you give A the ball due to team control, or does there have to be player control to avoid AP?
NCAA can request the TO now, it's just not "forced" on them.

PC is not needed to go to POI.