Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Because they're all Umpires?
Exactly!
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
With the wide open passing games, a 9 man crew, with the current FJ and SJ brought closer to the line to take the pressure off the wings, and the two new guys back deeper, might be workable. With 5 guys in the secondary, the wings can stay home and officiate the LOS, leaving the umpire and referee to work the interior linemen actions and QB (R). With twins on each side, the mid-judges could take the slot receivers, the back judge the tight end, and the deep flanks the outside receivers with the wings taking anyone left in the backfield on his side. The other helps the U with holding and helps the R with QB fouls and late hits.
I like having 6 wing officials. Having 2 more wing officials would leave the LJ and HL free would eliminate the need for a wing judge. One official will be called the deep judge and the other the rear judge.

I'm not exactly sure how to work out who gets the progress spot. The DJ and RJ will take it at the goal line, but at what point to the HL and LJ let the SJ and FJ take over?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I like having 6 wing officials. Having 2 more wing officials would leave the LJ and HL free would eliminate the need for a wing judge. One official will be called the deep judge and the other the rear judge.

I'm not exactly sure how to work out who gets the progress spot. The DJ and RJ will take it at the goal line, but at what point to the HL and LJ let the SJ and FJ take over?
At least one wing official should be in charge of sideline control. Billy club, mace and tasers would be standard equipment. No need to flag it when you have other options. I am checking Honig's website now.

"Don't tase me Ref!"
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
At least one wing official should be in charge of sideline control. Billy club, mace and tasers would be standard equipment. No need to flag it when you have other options. I am checking Honig's website now.

"Don't tase me Ref!"
I just checked, Honigs is offering the taser as part of their starter package
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The DJ and RJ will take it at the goal line, but at what point to the HL and LJ let the SJ and FJ take over?
Running plays and passes behind the line that are not apparent first downs, you'd give to the current wings. Deep flanks are deeper and would have no spots (except goal line and possibly change of possession spots -- not terribly different from current mechanics) and "mid" wings have everything else. Now, we have 3 people to control the sidelines, plus there's better behind the line spots -- especially on pass plays (sacks, etc.).

Not happening, but fun to talk about. Interestingly enough, the more you talk about alternative mechanics, the better you learn the current mechanics since you have to know and understand what we (should) do now to make it better. So there's nothing wrong with adding a few more officials out there. By all means: come to my games! I'll work you in!
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that if more officials were to be added to the NFL and NCAA levels it would be more wing officials. Then the wings at the LOS could stay there and provide better coverage for blocking and holding. Then 5 officials could be watching pass patterns without having to run so far so fast. There may be a lack of coverage areas for all those officials with A moving in to score. The other option is to have a second BJ like 6-man to then have 8-man.

Baseball is the only professional sport I know of to add officials for the play-off games. I know some states will add officials for football in high school I still am not convinced that is a good idea. Professional football, basketball, and hockey work just fine with the standard number of officials. Baseball adds those foul line umpires but I don't think they really get much use out of them. Maybe a call every few years but they have the money to pay them so whatever. Soccer is the sport where I think they could use more officials. That is a huge field with 22 players and only three officials and two of them can't get on the field so there are only two really working the game at any time. They could do more with more eyes.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post

"Don't tase me Ref!"
Gets my vote for post of the year.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker View Post
Baseball is the only professional sport I know of to add officials for the play-off games. I know some states will add officials for football in high school I still am not convinced that is a good idea.
What's sometimes called semi-professional (but these days really is amateur, so I prefer the term "minor league") football also frequently adds officials for playoffs.

Rugby's the game that obviously needs more officials. What they've done in recent years is upgrade some of the touch judges, adjusting their jurisdiction depending on whether they're experienced as refs and whether the level of competition calls for it (approximately equivalent to adding officials in playoff games). In just ordinary games the touch judges are supplied by each team, but these upgraded touch judges are neutral ones supplied like refs. If they had enough personnel they could add a goal judge behind each post instead of making the touch judges shuttle, but that's a low priority. They really need another in-field official to help with so many situations.

Robert
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Running plays and passes behind the line that are not apparent first downs, you'd give to the current wings. Deep flanks are deeper and would have no spots (except goal line and possibly change of possession spots -- not terribly different from current mechanics) and "mid" wings have everything else. Now, we have 3 people to control the sidelines, plus there's better behind the line spots -- especially on pass plays (sacks, etc.)
Right now with 6 or 7 officials we have HL and LJ who will stay slightly behind the ball as it moves down the field. Generally they are behind the ball when it becomes dead.

If the ball is coming towards their sideline they move towards A's goal line so they can stay out of the way of the players.

The SJ and FJ only get the progress at the goal line. They can back up deep off of the sideline if they are threatned by players running into them.

If the SJ and FJ were in a 8 or 9 man game, they would be the middle wing officials. DJ and RJ have the goal line and can back up if they need to. HL and LJ move towards A's goal line to avoid players. Where do SJ and FJ go? At some point they must get behind the ball as it is not safe to be in front of it. I don't see a good way of doing that.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker View Post
I know some states will add officials for football in high school I still am not convinced that is a good idea.
La. goes from 5 to 6 in the playoffs (mandatory from the third round on - optional in the first two) and all I know is that as a B, the addition of the F makes my job much easier
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
La. goes from 5 to 6 in the playoffs (mandatory from the third round on - optional in the first two) and all I know is that as a B, the addition of the F makes my job much easier
My concern there is that the new official hasn't been game tested all season from the position he is seeing now. Other officials around him also now have different responsibilities as well. I feel that responsibilities should be second nature at that point so that mistakes are limited. Perhaps adding the extra guy isn't that big of a deal but if it puts any kind of doubt in your mind as to coverages or positioning then it hasn't helped right then.