The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

We keep hearing that our State (OH) will soon move to 6 man crews for varsity games. As a result many crews are bringing on a sixth man (with the permission of the school /conference) and splitting the checks.

While this brings up a bunch of issues (liability & insurance insurance for working without a contract), I would like to know:

1. Is this happening in other states?
2. Has any state gone to six yet?
3. Do you think a sixth official is necessary in todays pass-oriented high school football?
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I think it would be a waste for most HS games I've done. Maybe for a pass happy team, but you can't pick and choose based only on the type of offense run by the teams.

In college, you need it becasue those kids can cover a lot of ground in a hurry.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I am in western PA and in our area we use 6 man crews almost all the time for varsity games. There are schools that will pay a certain dollar amount for a varsity game. If you bring six officials you will receive less money per official than if you bring five officials. We will tell the school at the begining of the season if we are bringing five or six, so that they may do the contracts accordingly. We feel it allows the younger officials to learn and also keeps them interested. It also gives you a much better officiated game away from the point of attack. The back side of the play has better control with six officials.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Our Chapter has offered 6 man crews for several years and we get 5 - 10 games a year where schools agree to the crew size.

It does have the advantage of letting you get more guys involved in varsity games if that happens to be a concern in your area (i.e. too many refs and not enough varsity games). It also does give better sideline coverage and coverage in the out of bounds areas. There are some real problems with coverage in the middle of the field though unless your F and S are really in synch. If you do not do it often (which we do not) there can be some real mental errors leading to coverage problems.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 07:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

So bring a 7th, then

Rich
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Back in CNY where I worked for 32 years, we fought hard to get
a Back Judge on HS Varsity games--- finally did for most games.
Here in SW FL-- we have mostly 5-man crews at all levels--
Freshman/JV/and Varsity. What a pleasure-- especially nice
from my U point of view--- having the BJ back behind me, seeing
stuff that I only used to hear !!
I never worked a 6 man crew--- even in NY state play-offs in NY.
I'm not sure if it is justified at the High School level.

Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I did a six man game this year. While it was a pleasure to work with six men, the FJ and SJ really didn't do a whole lot. I was the FJ/SJ. Lots of running, just a few punts, and one extra point. It IS nice for sideline control, but I don't think it will be wide spread on the high school level.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

This past spring and summer, I officiated for 2 different semi-pro adult leagues (though we collectively call it the "Felon" or "Prison" leagues due to the language, tattoos, fighting, trash talking, and general attitude of the players.) One goes by NFL rules and the other by a modified NCAA rules. It was also my first time working with a 6 and 7 man crew. As a wing official, I think it's great to have 2-3 officials already downfield to cover passes and punts. A few times I worked as the FJ and SJ and liked being back there as well. I work in Utah and we haven't even discussed bringing in a sixth man for high school varsity. While it's nice to have 2 or 3 officials downfield, I'm not sure there's that great a need for them at the high school level just yet, at least not here in Utah (I wouldn't doubt that it would be justified in other states.) So for now, here, the 5 man is sufficient. But perhaps someday........
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

SWFL,

One year in a NYS playoff game we put the alternate on the field to make a six man crew. Boy, did we get our buts chewed out in Syracuse the next spring. And I was there to hear it. But it did make the coverage easy.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking 5, 6, 7... Its all good.

Our local association has been using CCA 6 man for over 10 seasons now. It does give you good coverage on forward passes near the sidelines because you always have 2 pairs of eyes: one to cover the feet and the other to cover the ball (and thats why they call it "foot-ball"). Also, the extra guy on the sideline can help dead-ball officiate and get the extra ball into the umpire faster. Fade mechanics allows the deep officials to get down to the goal-line and remain ahead of the players on long plays from scrimmage.

Next year all the local associations will be reformed under a state organization. They are going to mandate that 5 man mechanics be used, with 7 for the play-offs.

I believe that a good 5 man crew can get great coverage if everyone follows their keys and works together. The main issues are that the wings have total coverage of the sidelines and the back judge has to run a lot more. But it can be done, even when you have a lot of passing.