The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

LSU - Florida Punt Return

Did anyone see the play near the end of the second quarter. Florida punts to LSU, returner catches the ball apparently landing one foot in and one foot out of bounds at the 13, then runs to the 40. The ball is spotted and LSU is then penalized 5 yards for delay of game. Then Florida requests and is granted a review of the punt return.

After the review, they stuck with the call on the field. The video appears quite clear that one foot was out of bounds with possesion of the ball. Checking the rule book, I'm quite confused. Can someone help me with this rule?
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I think you meant to say that it was a kickoff. They ruled it a kick out of bounds and spotted it on the 40.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I turned on the TV during the run-back and thought it was a punt return, then half-listened to the talking heads (since they usually only half-know what they're talking about).

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
Did anyone see the play near the end of the second quarter. Florida punts to LSU, returner catches the ball apparently landing one foot in and one foot out of bounds at the 13, then runs to the 40. The ball is spotted and LSU is then penalized 5 yards for delay of game. Then Florida requests and is granted a review of the punt return.

After the review, they stuck with the call on the field. The video appears quite clear that one foot was out of bounds with possesion of the ball. Checking the rule book, I'm quite confused. Can someone help me with this rule?
APG is right. This was a kickoff. This is a rule I always thought was a little strange but the crew got it right. The ball became dead when R touched it with their foot out of bounds. Since touching preceeds possession, R technically never possessed it. The kick was out of bounds so the normal options apply (5 yards re-kick, 40 yard line, or spot where ball went out of bounds). They took the 40.

My favorite part of this was the announcer actually knew the rule and explained it very well!! After the official announced the ruling was confirmed, the Florida fans started booing. The announcer said, "Do you hear 90,000 fans booing? That's because they don't know the rule." That announcer is my new hero!!
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
APG is right. This was a kickoff. This is a rule I always thought was a little strange but the crew got it right. The ball became dead when R touched it with their foot out of bounds. Since touching preceeds possession, R technically never possessed it. The kick was out of bounds so the normal options apply (5 yards re-kick, 40 yard line, or spot where ball went out of bounds). They took the 40.

My favorite part of this was the announcer actually knew the rule and explained it very well!! After the official announced the ruling was confirmed, the Florida fans started booing. The announcer said, "Do you hear 90,000 fans booing? That's because they don't know the rule." That announcer is my new hero!!
Actually, the announcer was clueless as well, but Rocky Goode was there to explain it to him.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post

It looked to me like at the time that he caught it, he had one foot down, and the foot that landed out of bounds was in the air at the time of the catch. Is this not treated the same way as a catch on a pass?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Actually, the announcer was clueless as well, but Rocky Goode was there to explain it to him.
I know that Rocky had an injury last year. Did he hang up his whistle permanently?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
I know that Rocky had an injury last year. Did he hang up his whistle permanently?
I'm not sure, but I haven't seen him working at all this season and I do know I have seen a couple of new SEC whitehats this season.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
It looked to me like at the time that he caught it, he had one foot down, and the foot that landed out of bounds was in the air at the time of the catch. Is this not treated the same way as a catch on a pass?
This is exactly what happened. I am pretty sure in the NFL, that the ball is spotted where it goes out in that case. But I guess the NCAA rule is different?

There was a separate play where LSU kicked off and was penalized for delay of game and had to re-kick. Their kicker booted the ball before the RFP. The announcers were clueless on that one, too.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya View Post
This is exactly what happened. I am pretty sure in the NFL, that the ball is spotted where it goes out in that case. But I guess the NCAA rule is different?

There was a separate play where LSU kicked off and was penalized for delay of game and had to re-kick. Their kicker booted the ball before the RFP. The announcers were clueless on that one, too.
Are you sure the officials ruled this way though? I thought it looked like that too but it was very close. Based on the explanation I heard (I turned it on just as the R was announcing the rule was upheld), the runner caught the ball while standing out of bounds. I believe if he caught it with one foot in and then stepped out, the ball would be dead at that spot for the receiving team. I missed the play live though so I may not have all the details right.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

It seemed clear to me that the runner had one foot in bounds and one clearly foot in the air, caught the ball, then the 2nd foot came down on the boundary line. It was close in realtime but on replay it didn't seem that close. The guys in the booth made a comment that it was because his momentum carried him out of bounds and he didn't make a football move up field. I am pretty confident that I have seen this exactly play called down at the spot where the ball was caught in the NFL.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am pretty confident that I have seen this exactly play called down at the spot where the ball was caught in the NFL.
That may be true, but also keep in mind that the NFL and NCAA have hundreds of differences in the rules. I can't verify the NFL rule nor can I comment on this play since I didn't see it. Here is a play situation from the NCAA rules.

IV. Airborne B17 has leaped from inbounds and is the first player to
touch Team A’s free kick when he receives the ball. He subsequently
lands out of bounds with the ball in his possession. RULING: Foul,
free kick out of bounds. Team B has these options: it may accept a
five-yard penalty at the previous spot with Team A re-kicking; snap
the ball at its 40-yard line at the inbounds spot (assuming the free
kick was from the 30-yard line); or snap the ball at the inbounds spot
five yards from where the ball crossed the sideline.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a separate play where LSU kicked off and was penalized for delay of game and had to re-kick. Their kicker booted the ball before the RFP.
How does that happen? Why is the ball being made available to K before RFP?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
How does that happen? Why is the ball being made available to K before RFP?

The ball is always given to the kicker before it is ready for play. The ready for play isn't given until all officials are in position and raise their hands indicating so. The kicker must have kicked it before the Referee made the ball ready for play. One of the last things the B will tell the kicker is to not kick it until the Referee sounds his whistle.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
The ball is always given to the kicker before it is ready for play. The ready for play isn't given until all officials are in position and raise their hands indicating so. The kicker must have kicked it before the Referee made the ball ready for play. One of the last things the B will tell the kicker is to not kick it until the Referee sounds his whistle.
So the BJ gives them the ball, and then assumes a position where? Seems you should have all the other officials in position first, and then it's just a matter of whichever official gives them the ball getting into position, which almost always would take less time than the kicking team would need to place the ball & kick it, which would be the most common manner of free kick. Do you save much time by having the officials and the players get ready at the same time?

Robert